Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:02 PM   #11

Can this be done for any other makes ? I have a Minolta A2 which has s/w you can buy to do this - but very expensive. And I also have a fuji F602z.

So, is it do-able ?
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:17 PM   #12

The short answer is yes, if you have the time...

The longer answer is...

Camera Controller implements the actual communications with the camera in a separate module I call a CSM (Camera Support Module). Camera Controller implements all calls to a CSM using a generic interface that is not tied in any way to the camera the CSM is supporting. Consequently, Camera Controller is not tied in any way to the actual cameras. CSMs supporting different camera models are easily added or removed to Camera Controller.

Currently I have two CSMs for cameras supported in the Olympus V2.0 and Olympus V3.4 SDK's. In theory, it should be pretty easy to create a CSM for any other camera model that can be PC controlled. All you need is the camera and the manufacturers SDK. To date, the only other manufacturers I know of that provide an SDK that could be used to control their cameras are Canon and Kodak. I think FUJI also has an SDK. Unfortunately, I don't believe it provides control but only provides tools for downloading pictures. I have not attempted to build CSMs for these manufacturers because I do not have any of their cameras available for testing. Also, Canon already has a remote control tool that they ship with their cameras.

You can also build CSMs for cameras like the Minolta A2, Nikon 990, 995, etc.,... This is where the "if you have the time" comment comes into play. These cameras are known to be PC controllable but since the manufacturer doesn't provide an SDK, you have to have the time, skills, and desire to snoop the USB bus or serial port to figure out what the command codes are. You might be able to shortcut the process by referencing the publicly available code from gphoto or hacking CAME (assuming it doesn't violate the license agreement, which it probably does). I haven't built CSMs for these manufacturers because, again, I don't have one of those cameras and because I don't have the time.
CochranMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 6:08 PM   #13

OK - thanks for the response.

I don't have the tools to snoop the USB bus - so I will wait until some other kind soul works it all out (I do have the programming skills I think [or at least I used to!!])
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 11:50 AM   #14

emeyedeejay wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to use a C750 as a web-cam? This would be a great feature ...
It would be a wasted effort that can ruin your camera over time. You have to remember the the C-7x0 is a precision camera, with a high resolution SMALL CCD which means a lot of pixels packed into a small space, which means the camera will heat up over time and develop hot pixels, which will eventually turn into stuck pixels that will appear in EVERY picture you take.

Just spend the $20 and buy a dedicated CMOS webcam.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun challenges for all C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
- Member of the Toronto Camera Club, http://www.torontocameraclub.com/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 11:38 AM   #15

I'm also wondering if there is firmware updates for the C-3000. Although my camera seems to operate ok with the Cam2com freeware, I'd still like to update the firmware if it's available and not too expensive. I noticed something about a coupon. How much is it without the coupon and does it apply to all firmware upgrades regardless of model?
crude4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:40 PM   #16

Hi, Artistrymom. "My husband is a computer program "! Are you writing a screenplay for "I Married an AI"? ;-)

I just returned from Antalya, Turkey, where my solar eclipse buddy Steve from Sydney and I shot the 8 June Transit of Venus, while exploring facilities for the 29 March 2006 total solar eclipse that goes thru there.

An interesting program would be one that sequences thru a series of exposures at the same f-stop, but different exposure times to get details of the solar corona, and also one to capture the prominences, and other phenomena.

The problem with an eclipse is that it happens in a matter of minutes and there is no good way to practice. The good news is that film ASA, aperture, and time settings are widely known from prior eclipses.

If Hubby the AI is interested, I'll look up the settings and work with you.

The Camera Controller from Pine Tree Computing looks like a good start.

diverdan
diverdan is offline   Reply With Quote