Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Writing program to controll full access via computer

so far its been a week and I love the camera. We purchased a developers kit from Olympus. My husband is a computer program so we are going to be writing software that will serve the olympus owners. If there is anything specific you would like to see in this program, please post and I will add it to our growing list.
Thanks Jeanette
artistrymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:35 PM   #2

Sounds interesting. How will this effort differ from the PineTree or Cam2Com freeware programs?

http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp
http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

I would love to be able to control my C750 from my PC - especially for time lapse work however...

My biggest problem is that I cannot receive a firmware upgrade that is SDK compatible - I suspect that this will be one of the biggest gripes from potential users of any remote control software ...

If you have any dealings with the SDK folk, please get them to put a user installable SDK campatible firmware up on the net - in much the same way that the PictBridge firmware is available.

I really can't fathom how they can now not make firmware upgrades available...

Sorry for the rant... :shock:
emeyedeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:19 PM   #4
lg

INSTANT shutter release (same as prefocusing and then releasing the shutter).

TIME LAPSE PHOTOGRAPHY.

The RM-1 Remote lacks the ability to pan up and down during playback, only side-to-side. Please add this functionaliy.

Will think on it, but thanks for offering opportunity for input. PTC is the program I have, but haven't used it much.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:37 PM   #5

RE: Instant shutter... The olympus cameras are not capable of prefocusing/AEL while under PC control. In fact, because of several issues with various camera firmware, you can't even just "Capture" a pic. If you want to set any exposure properties, you must do it every time, in the correct order before every capture. This slows the capture cycle even more.

RE: RM-1 pan functionality... The next version of Camera Controller, which I am currently ALPHA testing, has pan and zoom functionality in both Camera Controller and the slideshow tool. You can get amazingly sharp focus using pan/zoom and my picture preview functionality. Sign up for BETA testing by sending an email to [email protected].

RE: Using PTC... Hey, cool! <grin> Keep an eye on my website for the next release. Also, you can always post suggestions for improvement on the CC Forum on my website. I have incorporated quite a number of user suggestions into my releases. The next release - again, currently in ALPHA - also includes a great "snap-in" functionality that allows a programmer to easily add most any functionality they want. Snap-ins will be notified when key events occur, e.g., AfterCapture, and can control Camera Controller to set camera settings and take pictures. Should be a pretty hot release! Er, I'm excited about it anyway... <grin>

RE: Firmware... This has been a thorn in my side since day 1. I had to send my C3030 to Olympus for a firmware update before I could even begin to write Camera Controller. I was very excited to hear from the SDK folk that Olympus would be putting firmware updates on the web. It took 7 months from the time they said they were gonna do it for them to actually put something on the web. Unfortunately, so far, the only thing available in GA is the C5060 firmware and firmware for the C740 and C750 that is not compatible with the SDK. These issues are not the fault of the SDK folk - they are aware of the issue and are working hard to get the firmware up on the net. The SDK folk have said they want to make the SDK compatible firmware available through the developer website but, unfortunately, they don't maintain the website themselves. They are waiting for other Olympus internal resources to complete the necessary changes to the website before they can release the firmware. In the meantime, I have a firmware upgrade coupon available on my website for North American (US and Canada) users. European users can try sending an email to [email protected].

FYI... You can always get up-to-date Camera Controller and firmware info and submit suggestions for Camera Controller at http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp.

MAC
CochranMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:34 AM   #6

(to go ever so slightly off topic - sorry ... but it is related)

MAC - thanks for the info ...

I have tried e-mailing the address you provided here and on the PTC page and got the usual response except that the gentleman that replied (Ulrich) said that I had to send it to Germany!

Oh well - I'm about to give up on the whole firmware probelm - tired of beating my head against a wall. Just don;t understand it - if they have a user useable firmware available, then surely they can email the exe out on request with a disclaimer ... they don't need to wait for a web site to host it ... I

You are obviously in contact with the correct people - maybe suggest this to them?

BACK ON TOPIC ...

Is it possible to use a C750 as a web-cam? This would be a great feature ...

Thanks

Michael Junor (London)
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:21 AM   #7

RE: Firmware... It has already been suggested. For some reason, Olympus as a company feels the firmware upgrade process is too complicated for the average user. They don't want to create "maintenance issues" so they don't want to release the firmware binaries until they have a reliable upgrade mechanism. However, sometimes they do send it out via email to developers that have purchased the SDK.

RE: webcam... Camera Controller supports the "single shot updated every n minutes" type of webcam, e.g., your typical beachcam or skicam. This is one of the user suggestions I implemented a couple years ago. It works great for this, you can get high resolution photos onto the web automatically. The snap-in functionality I mentioned in a previous post will also allow you to automatically compress the images to make them more suitable for the web before they are uploaded by camera controller.

You can also use your camera for a live video webcam - suitable for use with NetMeeting or other video conferencing software - if you have a video capture device. You don't need Camera Controller for this type of webcam. You could also use such a device for live streaming video direct to the web, if you have the other infrastructure requirements needed for streaming video in place. One might wonder why one would want to do this, however, because the best quality you could hope for would be TV resolution which is slightly less than 640x480. Any el-cheapo webcam would offer the same relative quality and you would free up your expensive digicam for photography.

MAC
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8

MAC - that's a very good point! I had totally forgotten that my C750 outputs video over a standard RCA ... I'll give that a play tonight!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:28 AM   #9

CochranMA wrote: "RE: Instant shutter... The olympus cameras are not capable of prefocusing/AEL while under PC control. In fact, because of several issues with various camera firmware, you can't even just "Capture" a pic. If you want to set any exposure properties, you must do it every time, in the correct order before every capture. This slows the capture cycle even more."

Hi. It would be helpful to know what limitations are built into the camera. For example can the USB wake the camera up?
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:18 PM   #10

No, once a camera goes into powersave mode, it cannot be awakened via USB. Camera Controller does have settings which can be used to extend the inactivity time before the camera goes to sleep, however, the best solution is to use an AC adapter. Cameras connected to an AC adapter never go to sleep. You don't need an Olympus AC Adapter, all you need is any AC adapter with [email protected] output. You can get them at RatShack (Er, thats RadioShack for the non-electronics types). BTW you can also get a quick charger from RatShack that will recharge the Olympus 1700 mAh NiMH AA batteries in about an hour. Much faster than the 14 hour recharge time you get with the Olympus recharger.

Anyway, back on topic... Aside from the general firmware quirks that all Olympus cameras exhibit, there are a number of camera controls that cannot be controlled via the SDK. Lack of USB video (Camera Controller emulates this now, BTW), only preset whitebalances - no custom settings, can't control noise reduction, can't control sharpness, can't control contrast/brightness, are some that quickly come to mind. Camera Controller currently offers all of the control functionality the SDK offers with two exceptions - digital zoom and saving custom property sets to the camera. Digital zoom is very unnecessary - particularly since Camera Controller immediately downloads the image to the PC where it can be easily manipulated by any photo editor using better sampling algorythms (this will be even easier with the new snap-in functionality). I will probably implement the custom property sets in a future release.

Oh, you can also manage folders and files on the SM/xD/CF media. I haven't even bothered with that because I expect most people just download their pictures from the camera media and organize them on the PC.

In summary, the general gist is, if Camera Controller doesn't support a particular piece of camera functionality, it probably isn't available in the SDK. I know the SDK folk have asked the firmware guys for more commands so more stuff may become available in the future. One problem - as is evidenced by the C750 Pictbridge firmware - is that the firmware is getting too big for the FlashROM. Hopefully Olympus will(has already?) start using a bigger FlashROM so we won't see a repeat of the C750 SDK/PictBridge debacle!