Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:04 AM   #1

Default Sould I buy C-740/750/760

Hi,
I've been looking at buying one of these cameras but I've heard a couple of bad things about them...
A) Noise in low light conditions
I've read some reviews that say they perform really well in low-light but others say there's too much noise? What do I believe?

B) Blurred pics from camera shake
I've also read contradictory things about this. Are they really worse than any other camera in the same price range?
hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:54 PM   #2

Well I just bought a C-740 but have only had it for a couple days although I did shoot some night scenes the other night so I can give some input.

I took some photos first with the night mode scene straight up at the moon and stars and the came out a tad grainy but not too bad. After that I went into manual mode and took some long 16 sec exposures just to play around and there was noticible noise in all of them. The camera does have a noise reduction feature for long exposure shots that I forgot to use so I'm not sure if it will help a lot. Also keep in mind I'm still a begginer so I'm still learning a lot and this was just testing stuff and messing around.

As for the blurred pics from camera shake your going to get that with any camera pretty much. With a 10x zoom camera at full range the shake is a lot more noticible but thats the same with the other 10x zoom cameras from what I've read. Unless you get one with image stabalizer or whatever it's called but I think the only ones with that are the new Canon S1 IS and the Panasonice FZ-10. People also said you need a tripod for 10x and it certainly helps if you want your pictures good but I've managed to take stuff handheld at full zoom and they have come out pretty clear.

Anyways I'm very happy with my C-740. The quality of the pictures compared to stuff from the Kodak DX6490 or Minolta Z1 seemed much better.

As for the models your looking at I think the C-750 is the best out of those three now. Not sure about the 760 but the 765 is more of a compact 4mp version. I think the 770 is a newer version of the 750 but not sure.
Pakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply dude... It's so hard to choose a camera. I have heard great things about the Canon A80 so I was going to go for that but the 10x zoom really attracts me to the Olympus ones...
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:32 AM   #4

Ok I did a little more testing last night in some indoor low light situations without a flash.

All shot in P mode which had aperture and shutter taken care of I just adjusted ISOs and the NR feature.

1st shot - 1.3s f2.8 iso100 with Noise Reduction on produced a little noise but not too bad.

2nd shot - 1/1.6s f2.8 iso200 with noise reduction on produced more noticible noise. Nothing really bad and probably could be fixed in editing software pretty easily.

3rd shot - 1/1.3s f2.8 iso400 with noise reduction on produced noticible noise but if resized down to 4x6 or so it's not very noticible. Might show up when printed on glossy but hard to say and I can't test it really.

Next shots I took were the same apertures and shutter speeds and isos but with the noise reduction feature turned off. They all looked pretty much the same to me except the iso400 shot looked a little more nosiy.

I don't know how much that will help you but maybe it will a little. If your doing a lot of low light shots I don't know how good other cameras would be compared to this. I'm sure they will have some noise too at high iso's but I did know before I bought this that it does produce noise in low light more then others I think. I think that is mostly because other cameras like the Z1 or Kodak 6490 have noise reduction filters built in and it leaves the photo looking soft. Thats why I went with the olympus because even if photos end up noisy in low light sometimes the detail is still sharper and crisper then the other ones I saw.

Anyways the C-750 or C-770 or C-765 may have improved low light shooting since they are newer models then my C-740 so try and find some reviews or hope some other people chime in with some opinions.

Oh and the Canon A80 is a nice camera from what I've seen and I had it on my shopping list but also eliminated it since I wanted a 10x zoom camera and was shooting a lot of outdoor landscape shots.
Pakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:50 PM   #5

Hey thanks heaps for that... I've definitely narrowed it down to the A80 and the Olympus models but I think money will end up being the decider. I just got offered the A80 for $500 (AUS) which is pretty good considering I saw it in a shop for $740 the other day...

I too am very keen on the zoom but the A80 can use other add-on lenses so I assumed you can get a bigger zoom?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 5:15 PM   #6

I had a canon a40 and now i have the c750.
i noticed that:

A40:
less noise
good quality
less zoom,macro

c750:
more noise in low light conditions
more zoom
very good macro
good pic quality in sunny conditions

my opinion:
if you want a camera with big zoon and good macro then choose c750