Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 3, 2002, 10:44 PM   #1

Default to buy or not to buy ????

I am a newbie to digital cameras. The only camera I currently own is a manual slr (minolta x-700).. unfortunately, i no longer have free convenient access to a darkroom, film, etc, and i love instant gratification.. but i digress....um, oh yeah.

I have a friend who owns an Olympus c 3020. She bought it about six months ago and didn't abuse it. However, now she wants another camera and is willing to sell it to me but we have yet to discuss the price.

Should I go ahead purchase the camera from a friend or should I go bid on ebay from someone w/ a good reputation, of course.

the reason I am asking this is b/c initially I had my heart set on an Olympus c 3000, not 3020. And if I bought on ebay, I could get the 3000. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, and I also read somewhere online that both of these cameras are meant only to store pics and view them off of your computer, and look horrible when you actually print them out on paper b/c of the dpi (or something, i don't know the term). Is this true? b/c if it is, i'll have to start my search all over again!
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:36 PM   #2

The last bit is rubbish. Either are as good as any of the same resolution (3 MP) with prints. Good prints up to 10x8".

If you can get a good price on the 3020 I say buy it - it's a very good camera.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:41 PM   #3

B & W,
If you really want the 3000, you can get direct from olympus at great price and no worries about condition , warrenty or anything else.
Gary

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...ub_category=22
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:45 PM   #4

Wow, thanks for the link. That's a very good deal I'm going to take into serious consideration as soon as my friend gives me a price on her camera, depending how much it costs

And I had a feeling that the printing pics was rubbish, although i wasn't entirely sure b/c i'm not used to dealing w/ digital cameras. what a relief!

thanks for the help. buying cameras off ebay stills scares me a little so it's nice to know i have other options, especially when i'm so hooked on getting one.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:40 AM   #5

I say look at the feature set of the 3000 and 3020 and decide if you mind the differences. From what I have seen, the 3020 lacks the external flash port and the remote control.

You have a price point from the OLY web site and you can search e-bay for the 3020 price. Your friend may have accessories that she would throw in makeingthe deal better.

[Edited on 9-5-2002 by Michael_Adkins]
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 4:08 PM   #6

Also don't forget that the C-3020 was the "upgrade" to the C-3000. So although they dropped a few features they added a few features as well. If you were comparing the C-3030/C-3040 to the C-3020; I would say don't buy the camera from your friend.

However look at the friendship factor. Buying electronics from a friend could be risky in terms of the friendship. You don't get a warranty from your friend, and if anything goes wrong you might want to throw it at her and demand your money back, or worse yet... she comes to occasionaly "visit" her camera.

If the above consideration is not a factor then go ahead and buy it.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 7:25 PM   #7

I don't think she's going to sell it to me after all. Well, she hasn't mentioned it to me yet, so I found a good deal on ebay I'm gonna go for. the c-3000 and it comes w/ extra memory..for a reputable seller. i'll let you guys know how it turns out!