Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 9, 2004, 10:27 PM   #1

Here's the delima... we just came back from vacation and have about 120 pictures on our C-750. After connecting and turning on the camera, XP comes back and says that the camera is an unrecognized device and I can't get my pix off of it. In the device manager it just shows up as an unrecognized device and that there is no driver for it. What gives? Any thoughts?

ps... no, the camera did not get any abuse over the trip. It was in a nice padded case when we didn't use it and when we did, I have the olycap and give it great care.

thanks,
Scott
daddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 6:26 AM   #2

try clicking on the Safely Remove Hardware icon at the desktop taskbar, it should be located at he bottom right corner by the clock, and stop the usb adapter. After that connect your camera to the usb port, switch it on and it should work.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 7:28 AM   #3

Thanks, but it still did not connect. Its like the drivers are missing. I'll keep trying.

Scott
Old May 10, 2004, 7:53 AM   #4

it should not need any drivers, the C-750 connects automatically in winXP..i think is a matter of not recognizing the usb port for some reason..keep connected the camera on the pc and restart the pc or something in these lines..i dont know what else to suggest..
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5

I just bought a xD USB card reader from OfficeMax ($10 - mi rebate = $0) so as to have an alternative method. I actually believe that downloading directly from the camera would yield less wear and tear over time, since the USB plug is more rugged.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 12:00 PM   #6

This debate was fought a long time ago, especially with the issue of smartmedia contacts due to the card's extreme thiness.

A reader still makes more sense in every way (I took 8 months to learn that):

- you don't wear out camera's batteries (if they die durring the read, could the card become corrupted).
- someone's camera did lock up during the process and had to be totally reset losing all the settings.
- wear and tear on the tiny USB connector.
- card readers are faster

The only caveats, copy the pictures, don't move them...then erase/refomat the card in the camera after (some card readers have caused problems when writing to camera cards in the past, especially if you have an Olympus card with the Panoramic header, a card reader can wipe that out during formatting).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 9:04 PM   #7

Well, I was able to get the pix off the camera by connecting the camera to my laptop. It worked fine there. For some reason it would not work with the desktop. Does anyone know if there is anything I can re-install to get the USB Autoconnect working for this?

Old May 11, 2004, 11:28 PM   #8

Mike wrote:

"A reader still makes more sense in every way (I took 8 months to learn that):

- you don't wear out camera's batteries (if they die durring the read, could the card become corrupted).
- someone's camera did lock up during the process and had to be totally reset losing all the settings.
- wear and tear on the tiny USB connector.
- card readers are faster"

Well, I don't know. Downloading 128MB from the camera takes me about 2-3 minutes so I don't have much concern about the batteries. Maybe this is more of a concern if you have 512MB cards. So far no lockups. USB contacts are tiny but xD contacts are probably smaller and are less resistant to a poor connection (CRC error checking)and since there are morecontacts the chance of trouble is multiplied. With USB 1.1 I don't get much of a speed advantage. Also with the card reader you have a greaterchance of forgetting to return the xD card to the cameraor forgetting toformat it afterwards.
Old May 11, 2004, 11:31 PM   #9

Does WinXP still work correctly with other USB devices?
Old May 12, 2004, 6:20 PM   #10

Yes, all my other devices work fine. I Have a printer, a wacom tablet, a card reader (came with the pc, but no xd), and a pc webcam thingie. All them work fine. Its just the C-750 and only on my desktop. It works on my laptop. It sounds to me like something funny happened (don't know how, as we were on vacation), but I may be rebuilding my PC.