Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 9, 2004, 11:28 PM   #1

Has anyone got a address, I assume it would be in Japan that complaints about poor and sloppy service from there Olympus agents can be directed too and hopefully get a reply and / or action.

This stems from buying a c750 which was supplied with a Japanese manual, no use to me at all and the follow on refusal to supply a english manual on the grounds that those who buy digital camera's should already know how to use it, basically if I want a manual, print it out myself from the pdf or download from the net is there bottom line attitude.

Anyway, if someone knows of a email address which is likely going to get a reply and hopefully some action, be grateful if you could reply here with it so I can see if I can take this matter further.

Cheers all.

Gordon

Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 12:52 AM   #2

Was the dealer actually an "Olympus Authorized"?

To me the person you bought the camera from sounds like someone who imports gray market cameras (from other countries) and resells them, usually at a lower cost than the authorized resellers. Certainly sounds like it considering the treatment you got.

If you contact Olympus with that complaint, you won't get very far, and will probably get the "caveat emptor" treatment for not buying from a proper dealer.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus doesn't recognise you if you ever have a warranty claim with your camera if it does turn out to be gray market.

BTW, it IS very easy to download the manuals from the net.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun challenges for ALL C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 5:22 AM   #3

The camera is not grey market, it is the genuine thing but was sold in NZ with a Japanese manual. The camera was supplied from the NZ agents to the retailer. I can download the manual or get it off the CD in PDF format but my arguement with the NZ agent for Olympus was why should I print out something like 238 pages (pdf version) using my own ink when I should have been supplied with a english manual to begin with.

I did question about the camera being grey market when I first saw the japanese manual but I was shown the delivery docket and order confirmations which clearly show it coming from the NZ agents for Olympus.

So, still looking for a good contact point for getting hold of Oly.
Old May 10, 2004, 12:42 PM   #4

Actually, we ALL have to print out the reference manual (if we want a printed copy)...on every C-7x0 sold the (english) reference manual only comes on the CD in PDF format (I don't know how many times I've heard people complaining about the skimpy manual, and then complain about the reference manual being only on CD, and then more complaints about why there's no mention about the reference manual). Olympus (America) *offers* a hardcopy version for $10USD.

As for contacts, only what's on the Oly Japan Contact page:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 5:26 AM   #5

Problem solved, copy of manual has beenprovided and arrived by FedEx this afternoon. No charge.