Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 14, 2004, 11:56 PM   #21

I should have asked "what kind of blurring" , I know you had the lens wobble and the start up problesm, which mine did NOT do.

ButI did have blurry photos most of the time and bad exposure a lot of the time. Really bad low light photos

I could live with the EVF if the camera took good photos in P (auto) mode.

I really really liked the feel and button access of the 8080 camera, the flip up flash,which I beleive stops red eyes and it was FAST all the way around adn took great supermacro's

chris

wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 6:57 AM   #22

Hello All!

To all owners of the C8080WZ: Does your camera got a slight lense movement? My camera does. My lense is not stable, I can move it a bit on the side (At least 1/16" if not more). For now, it did not affect the quality of the pictures I took, but it annoys me. I have heard that a lot of OLYMPUS camera got similar "problems". If I remember correctly, my old C5060WZ had a steady lense, if not, it did not annoyed me as much as the wobbling lense of my current C8080.

For the rest, I love my C8080.

TIA for your comments!

Mart
Badhabit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 7:57 PM   #23

Most (if not all) C-Series cameras with extending lenses have some wobble. That's probably the most asked question after someone has bought a C-Series camera!

The answer is it's perfectly normal, the lens is designed to "float". It's recommended that you buy a lens tube and UV filter to encase the lens barrel to not only protect it from scratches and dust (which the camera sucks in when the lens moves), but also to protect the barrel from getting bumped out of alignment. My tube and UV filter stays on the camera at all times.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 2:11 AM   #24
KSS

Sure I would be glad to explain. The first camera had very drastic movement of the lens barrel. It moved up and down and side to side. The movement of the lens caused the pictures to either blur or incur tremendous camera shake.

The second camera would not focus at all. When this camera was turned on it made a nonstop clicking noise. When I received this camera at the dealer, the box it came in was heavily damaged. It was obviously severely dropped. The dealer said Olympus shipped it to him that way. I have my doubts about that. I changed dealers when I purchased my new C-8080.

I spent most of today testing my new C-8080 and I have to again report total satisfaction. What beautiful pictures this camera takes. And it is such an easy camera to use. It is very user friendly. I shot in every mode and resolution possible and all with the same results, clean, accurate, and perfect pictures. I cannot wait to get back out and take more photos. So far, I have found Steve's review of this camera to be right on! I hope this information helps. The 5050 is a terrific camera, however, the C-8080 seems to be an awesome camera with beautiful picture images. Its photo's rival that of my 35MM Film camera.

KSS
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 6:19 AM   #25

Thank you Mikefellh for your answer. I'm going to check for that lens tubeand the UV filter.

I have to admit thought that the lens wobblegives a strange "not so good quality" felling compare the the great qualityof the the camera. Anyways, it does not change the fact that it's a marvallous camera.

Ciao!

Mart

Badhabit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 1:17 PM   #26
KSS

Old May 18, 2004, 1:22 PM   #27
KSS

Mikefellh, Thank youfor the great lens tube tip. My C-8080 is wearing one now. Thanks again!

Old May 19, 2004, 3:50 AM   #28

Yes, thanks for the tip, for the lens tube. I too have purchased the C8080 and very happy with it. I was slightly concerned with the lens wobble (the lens does not wobble during any zooming though.) but when I tried out the new 770 it had the same wobble.
So far I have been pleased with the imagesI have taken.
Also onceI saw the lens I purchased a UV filter straight away.
The lens tube is next on the list.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:41 AM   #29
Administrator

wiste wrote:
Quote:
I hated to give the "no red eyes" up, by sending it back cause Iheard the 5050 and 5060 have red eye problems. ButI didnt like the blurry no flash photos I got and the glary outdoor photos adn actaully I got a lot of flash blurry photos too, unless i was perfectly still, like I feel like it needs a tripod only, no handheld.

Like I said, maybe there was something wrong with mine. I'l compare it to the 5050 and decide.
If you are trying to take indoor photos without a flash using the C-8080Z, your problem is most likely motion blur, because shutter speeds are too slow.

What is bright to the human eye, is not to the camera's lens.

Also,as a general rule, you want to use 1/focal length. In other words, if shooting at100mm equivalent, you'll want a shutter speed of around 1/100 second -- just to help reduce blur from camera shake (not counting the "stop action" part). When using flash, slower shutter speeds can be used, because the flash is freezing the action.

The average light in a home is at around an EV (Exposure Value) of 6.You can increase ISO speed to help compensate (but this increases noise).

For example: if shooting near wide angle for your lens, with an Aperture of around F2.8, you'd need a shutter speed of around 1/8 second at EV 6 to insure proper exposure. This is too slow to prevent blur.

You C-8080's widest aperture at wide angle is F2.4, and it's widest aperture at full zoom is only F3.5.

Here is a useful chart. Again, what your eyes tell you is bright (indoors), is not to a camera. Note that this chart is based on ISO 100. So, each time you double the ISO speed (settable in camera), you can also double the shutter speed. However, increasing ISO speed will add noise to the photo.

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm

As far as the C-5050, it does have a brighter lens, compared to your C-8080. So, you would be able to get slightly faster shutter speeds in the same lighting conditions and focal length. However, this model (C-5050) has been critized for noise at higher ISO speeds.

The model that preceded it (C-4040) is much better, because it's packing less pixels (4 MP versus 5MP)in to the same size sensor (1/1.8") as the C-5050z uses. As a general rule, the smaller the photosites for each pixel, the higher the noise levels. This is because the smaller photosites can't gather as much light, requiring more amplication of the signal, to get the equivalent ISO sensivity of a sensor using larger photosites for each pixel.

Note that there are a couple of products that can be used to reduce noise. Noise Ninja and Neat Image are probably the best two. Here are the download links:

http://www.neatimage.com

http://www.noiseninja.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 12:01 PM   #30

Thanks for your insite into the camera and blurry photos and for the link.I can see why maybe the faster lens might help my blur problem and the shorter zoom too.

I'll be anxious to see if I get the same results ( rotten photos) with the 5050 camera,then i'll give up and get a point and shoot!

I havent recieved my 5050 yet to compare it to the 8080 I had.

If they turn out good in P mode, I will be still temped to try another 8080, in case it was not me, it was a bad camera, like KSS said. It's such a fun camera to run!

Chris

wiste is offline   Reply With Quote