Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 11, 2004, 3:05 PM   #1

The c8080 manaual says in order to do Panorama with the camedia software that you ned the Olympus XD card. Why do you need Olympus XD cards to do panorama on the c8080.

Brian
bnao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2004, 8:39 PM   #2

You don't need the Oly xD card to do panorama...you can do it with manually locking focus and exposure on the first picture and then overlap pictures, and then use a third party program to stitch the pictures.

What you need the Oly xD card for is to *enable* the panorama mode on the camera...the Oly cards have a different format that allow the panorama mode to be enable.

BTW, you wouldn't be the first to complain about this marketing ploy.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 8:55 PM   #3

It isn't even a card format. It is just a small string of code that tells the camera it is an Oly card so the camera will activate the panorama mode. Back when Oly used SM some hackers were able to read the code and passed it around so people could use other makes of cards. I haven't seen where anyone has hacked the xD cards. It is just to make you buy Oly cards and I'm surprised someone hasn't filed a class action suit against them.

The Oly panorama mode works well. It locks the exposure with the first shot and numbers them for easy stitching in the Camedia software. That is about the only thing I have found the Camedia software good for but it does that well and quickly if you use the panorama mode on the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 7:43 AM   #4

Sorry, format was a confusing term...I meant it as in formatting a floppy disk type format, not the physical hardware of the card being a different format. If you format the card on a computer it would destroy the code in the card's header.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:52 AM   #5

A floppy disk has 2Mb of data capability that is reduced to 1.44 after the software format. Formatting involves arrangement of the space so it can accept data. What I am saying is that the Oly xD card doesn't have anything extensive like that to enable the panorama. It is a simple small string of code that tells the camera it is an Oly card. The panorama mode would work just as well with a Fuji or Sandisk card if the camera would use the mode. It is purely a scam to sell Oly cards.

I've never heard that an Oly card will no longer activate the pano if you format it in the computer. My guess would be that it is in non-volatile ROM rather than EEPROM.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:47 AM   #6

I give up!
Old May 14, 2004, 12:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.

Brian
bnao is offline   Reply With Quote