Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 12, 2004, 3:44 AM   #1

Hi:

I'm looking for an external flash for my Oly 5060, but I know nothing about this subject. I'm a bit confused about what flashes can and cannot be used on my camera and the manual don't help (it does exactly the opposite!).

Can anyone tell me some guidance so I could know if the flash X can or cannot be conected to the camera?

Thanks in advance

J.A.Calvo

Spain
jacalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2004, 8:02 AM   #2

I can't tell you if "Flash X" works as I don't have the specs on it. First you have to worry about if the flash has a safe trigger voltage...anything above 6 volts is not recommended (even a few years ago it was not unusal to find flashes with 100volts or more on the hotshoe, mine from 10 years ago has 250volts). There are three basic types of flash out there...TTL, Auto, Manual.

TTL, is the perfect mate for the camera. Flashes like the FL-40 and FL-50 can talk with the camera, find out what the camera is set to and adjust themselves accordingly (the Oly FL-40 & FL-50 can even zoom)...they meter their exposure through the lens (TTL) of the camera. Note, there are different TTL standards out there, Nikon, Canon, etc...you need to make sure the TTL flash works with the Olympus TTL standard. TTL requires almost no thought to operate. You can buy third party TTL flashes like the Promaster, but the auto focus assist beam doesn't work properly with some Olympus models.

Auto, this flash automatically adjusts for the amount of light available. Some flashes require you to set the camera to a specific exposure first, but personally I just use Program mode on the camera for this type.

Manual, YOU have to do all the thinking...you have to set the exposure on the camera for the exact setting that's on the chart on the flash.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 10:11 AM   #3

And... What about different pin numbers on hot shoes? This is what most get me ccnfused now.

Anyway, thanks for your reply

J.A.Calvo

Spain
jacalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:45 AM   #4

You mean the number of pins on the hotshoe? Again that has to do with TTL compatibility. Just look for a flash that's Olympus TTL compatible.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 9:38 PM   #5

jacalvo wrote:
Quote:
Hi:

I'm looking for an external flash for my Oly 5060, but I know nothing about this subject. I'm a bit confused about what flashes can and cannot be used on my camera and the manual don't help (it does exactly the opposite!).

Can anyone tell me some guidance so I could know if the flash X can or cannot be conected to the camera?

Thanks in advance

J.A.Calvo

Spain
Quote:
You can buy the Olympus FL20 or FL50. While the FL50 can swivel and zoom, the FL20 is a simple flash that does not have such functions. Alternatively, u may wish to look at the Metz 44 MZ2. Ifu use this flash, u need to buyan adaptor (SCA 3020 for Olympus). The good thing about Metz flashes is that if you change cameras, your Metz flash can remain. Just buy another adaptor for whichever camera u are using. Price-wise, it's much cheaper than the Olympus flash. U can't go wrong with Metz flashes which are widely used by professional photographes worldwide.
Redstorm is offline   Reply With Quote