Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 6, 2002, 4:54 PM   #1

Default C4000Zoom

I just got this camera and find that I get jagged diagonals and edges if I am viewing at anything less than one to one, with the default camera setting. hq. even thumbnails look bad. Also, converting them does not stop this. I had two c40zooms last month but returned them. They never had this effect. Please anyone - what is occurring, is it a fault? I notice taking exactly the same shots the file sizes are about 15% smaller than on the c40z at the same resolution. Have Olympus altered the default compression or something. I am new to this, sorry.
Thanks in advance for any help.

[Edited on 7-9-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:51 PM   #2

David,

What are you viewing with? The quality of the software you use to view your pics will affect the quality of the image. In particular, if you are viewing a reduced version of the original, it is important that your viewer uses a good algorithm to resample (NOT resize) the original.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:15 PM   #3

Either Irfanview, Paint Shop Pro or Photo Impact. Oh , and yes I do set to save .jpg's at best quality.

[Edited on 9-9-2002 by david]
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:53 AM   #4

Paint Shop Pro is not great as a viewer. I always use Irfan. In Options|Properties|Viewing make sure that the checkbox for "Use Resample function" is checked. In View|Display Options, select "Fit images to desktop" or use full screen mode (press <Enter> while viewing). Other viewing modes use resizing rather than resampling to reduce the image size, and this causes the jaggies.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 1:59 PM   #5

Thanks. That helped quite a bit. But still find a few images from this camera compared to the c40 that still have some artefacts. I guess it must be the algorithm. I don't know. Perhaps i'm expecting too much.
Thanks
David

[Edited on 11-9-2002 by david]