Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 7, 2002, 1:51 AM   #1

Default D-550 verses D-40

I am going to purchase either the D-550 or the D-40 cameras. I am wondering how of a difference there is between the two cameras? Will the D-40 show an appreciable visual improvement over the D-550, or is the difference mostly a technical expectation. Would it be better to spend the extra $200 or so and get the D-40? I saw in the reviews that the D-40 has alot of chromatic aberations(??),will this show up my photos enough to make me a dissatisfied customer,or is the lens problem actually a small thing..Actually this is what is stopping me from buying the D-40 and going for the D-550,but I sure like the D-40,but I am hesitant because of the lens issue. Is there anyone that can advise me on this? Thanks
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2002, 2:17 AM   #2

I tried out the D-40 for a few days. I took lots of pictures in and outdoors. I noticed a major improvement over pics taken from my previous 3 megapixel Cannon G1.
The chrom-Abs is not apparent unless you zoom in with computer software. I want to purchase a D-40 for the following reasons: 1) It's not only one of the smallest, but it is one of the lightest. 2) The AA lithiums are less expensive than Cam Manufactured battery packs. 3) I like the sliding lense cover-no more G1 cap fiddling. On the con side: I did notice some D-40 lense distortion in full wide angle. I didn't experiment much and I'm no optical eng. I just noticed that when I put her head in the top of the frame while placing her feet in the bottom of the frame, the outcome appeared as if her legs were shorter and her waste-to-shoulder was longer than usual.
It's no big deal. I'll just have to remember to stand back and use the zoom for a better proportionality.
Captain Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 12:56 AM   #3

Thanks for your input Captain Photon, so you are satisfied with the D-40 then. Maybe all the point and shoot cameras have this lens problem.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:41 AM   #4

The problem of "CA" is with most digitals with a long focal length (telephoto lens). It's not limited to one particular camera type, or brand.

The C700 (which I have) is particularly prone with it's 10x zoom (38mm-380mm) lens.

The pictures that I want to keep that have it is easy enough to get rid of the problem in a good photo editing program.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 8:45 PM   #5

Hi Mike,it is just from some reviews that I am invisioning purple halos around the edges of every subject that has a bit of light peeking from behind it or from some reflection off the subject. I mean some reviews mention the problem and some don't. I guess if you purchase this camera,you just don't take a backlit or other type of photo where there is light coming in from the front bouncing around in the elements of the lens. This is my only question about the camera,other that the "ca" I think I will like it.