Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 18, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1

Have been taking several daytime shots at 10x but it has most often soft edges even with tripod much worse on moon shots it can't even get crater detail even at ISO 50. Is is this common with c750?
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 4:29 PM   #2

I haven't tried moon shots yet, but I can imagine focusing may be a problem, dunno, I'll have totry it one night. People usually use extra lenses, eg a telescope for such shots. However, I've taken loads of daylight distance shots where the clarity is impressive, and if there's any problem it's usually related to atmospheric haze. I find that the Haze filter in Paint Shop Pro works miracles in such cases. I haven't felt the need for usinga tripod at all even though I've got one, soit's staying in the cupboard.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 12:33 AM   #3

I've taken shots without any filter. Has anyone tried using a UV filter at 10x zoom and compare shots without filter? I still have to get a CLA4 which is still out of stock.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4

First, are you sure you're not creeping into the digital zoom zone of your zooming...try disabling the digital zoom and then go to the top end of the zoom scale and see if you get the same results.

Also, if you are one to leave a tube and UV filter on the camera at all times, try temporarily removing the UV filter...some cheap UV filters do cause soft images.

Of course, seeing a sample with EXIF info intact would help matters.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 6:49 PM   #5

The digital zoom is disabled and I don't use any kind of filter for I don't have the cla4 yet. Am still trying on different lighting situations and will be comparing the results as soon as my time permits.
Old May 29, 2004, 9:30 AM   #6

I would be interested to know what you are comparing against. I've tried a few moonshots with my C750/TCON17 but have not experimented extensively.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 4:06 PM   #7

I haven't had any noticeable amount of detail falloff when zooming in with my 750uz, at least to my knowledge. Do you happen to have some examples possible that we might see showing the detail loss? This one was taken with my tcon1.7 on the camera.

On another websites forums a while back I posted quite a post on the difference between digital zoom and optical since there are still alot of people that don't know the difference. http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/...=0&fpart=1If you check out that link I have some handheld shots all the way from 26.6mm through to 646mm's using the stock, wcon0.7 and tcon1.7 lenses on my c-750uz. They may not be the best examples as they are handheld...while im standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking certain death....but its a point of comparison.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 4:39 PM   #8

here is the my photo of the moon at 10x and with tripod cropped and resized. BTW you have a wonderful moon shot!
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2004, 5:57 PM   #9

It looks like your problem is focus. Use the left or right side of the moon to auto-focus then with the shutter half-way pressed lock the focus by pressing OK.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 3:54 PM   #10

I did use manual focus at infinity. Probably I'll try your suggestion to use auto focus. I'll post the resulting photo.