Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:24 AM   #11

HI,

I have my 5050 since september last year and took over 5000 images. I have only a few points to critsize:

- the selection-wheel (I saw a few people in NZ with a broken one!!)

- that all adjustments will be reset afetr shut off (you can chance this in the menu)

- no pictbridge

Gunter
lance201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:24 PM   #12

Our C-5050Z is about 1.5 years old. Until recently, we had great luck with the camera. Last week something happened to the lens extender. The motor runs but the lens does not extend. Olympus wants $180.00 to fix it. :P
melrose55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:34 AM   #13

IMHO I don't think there is any doubt that the 5060 is a better camera overall. The 27mm wide angle is particularly useful, as is pictbridge (enabling you to connect the camera direct to the printer without the need of the computer) In particular, owners of the 5050 complain after a while of damage to the screen, but the 5060 has a reversible screen to protect it when not in use. I agree that the lens is a slight limiting factor but then everything is a compromise, and there are not too many situations where F2.8 will not suffice. If the budget allows, have you considered the 8080? Here you move to F2.4, 27/140mm lens, and 8mp. I bought the 5060 but if I had known the 8080 was in the wings I would have waited. I am more than delighted with the 5060 nevertheless. Good luck!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:15 AM   #14

Allthough I agree on all advantages of the C-5060 you mentioned (I would likea f1.8/28-135mm lens) fo me the fact that the 5050 can use standad NiMh batteries is a great advantage both in price and operating duration. rgds, john
jbarnett77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:46 PM   #15

The lithium ion battery that the 5060 uses seems to be a very good one to me. The thing that I don't care for with the NiMh batteries is that they loose charge fairly fast while just sitting waiting to be used. I do wish my 5060 had a faster lens though.

Chuck :cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:54 PM   #16

The battery with the 5060 is a Lithium Ion. I dont know if you know this but Lithium Ion blows nimh out of the water. It the battery that they use in most cell phones and laptops. Soon as they make a AA Lithium Ion that would be the best. With the 5060 you get like 300 shots. 5060 is great camera. Its my fav olympus camera besides the c-2100.
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:04 PM   #17

Ditto, the Lithium Ion blows NiMh out of the market period. NiMh looses charge just sitting there and the LiIon holds a charge forever....almost....but they are worth the difference in price, by far. Another reason to prefer the 5060.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:13 PM   #18

Crashton wrote:
Quote:
The thing that I don't care for with the NiMh batteries is that they loose charge fairly fast while just sitting waiting to be used.
Some of you must never use your cameras...I've have never had a set of NiMHs go dead while in the camera. The last times I put in batteries was over two weeks ago, I took a bunch of pictures then, and it was sitting around doing nothing until a few days ago, batteries are still good, did some more shooting a few days ago, batteries are still good now (my camera is a C-700).

Quality and age of the NiMH have a lot to do with it...I only use GPs, and if I do plan to leave the camera unused for a long period of time (when I get another AA based camera next month), I'll put in the lithium CR-V3's that came with the camera two years ago (they just keep on lasting).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:25 PM   #19

well I still like aa battery over olympus propitory batterys any day. Try to find a c5060 battery while on the road. Yes aa nimh will drain out over time , but there cheapness and ready availablity make up for those weakness , but you can get rechargeable lith cr-v3 batterys that will give you the same life as the propitory battery but still have aa flexable .the best of both worlds
:-)
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:24 PM   #20

The problem that I've had was theSpare NiMh's going flat. That's a real pain when you go to change batteries & your spares are DOA. I know that I won't have that problem with the lithium ion batteries. The only problem that I have with the 5060 is that the battery charger takes 6 hours to charge a completely flat battery. Does anyone know of a faster charger for that battery?

Chuck :cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote