Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 19, 2004, 1:59 PM   #1

I'd like to get your comments. I've read several articules recently that many people prefer the 5050 over the 5060 espescially for image quality.Since I was looking at the 5060 I would appreciate your input..Thanks....HOJO
hojo11779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2004, 11:02 PM   #2

This is quite an informativesite and has a good comparison of the two

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/index.html

Clint
clinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 10:47 AM   #3

The C5050 has a faster lens and the C5060 has a wider lens. The C5050 will perform better under lower light conditions. Your shooting style should push to one or the other.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 11:40 AM   #4

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
Your shooting style should push to one or the other.
In other words, what do you want to shoot more...wide shots or low light shots?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:16 AM   #5

Personally I would not get a c5050, I recently bought one and I have been extremely and I mean extermely disappointed by the photo quality. All the pics reguardless of ISO or light came out unusablely grain unless I set the sharpening to -5. In general the colors are very washed out and it has a nasty tendence to over expose daylight pictures,in simmilar lightmy old 2020 could take beatiful picturesstanding on it head. I very glad I didnt sell my 2020, unless things radical imporve with 5050, I going to dump it on ebay. I dead serious folks the c5050 blows, My old 2020 take better pictures on a day in and day out bases. Hopefully I can get a decent price on ebay so I can maybe buy a canon digital rebel . I should have listen to the other sites that sayed the 5050 is a so so camera , oh well live and learn.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 4:51 PM   #6
blr

bob1xxx wrote:
Quote:
Personally I would not get a c5050, I recently bought one and I have been extremely and I mean extermely disappointed by the photo quality. All the pics reguardless of ISO or light came out unusablely grain unless I set the sharpening to -5. In general the colors are very washed out and it has a nasty tendence to over expose daylight pictures,in simmilar lightmy old 2020 could take beatiful picturesstanding on it head. I very glad I didnt sell my 2020, unless things radical imporve with 5050, I going to dump it on ebay. I dead serious folks the c5050 blows, My old 2020 take better pictures on a day in and day out bases. Hopefully I can get a decent price on ebay so I can maybe buy a canon digital rebel . I should have listen to the other sites that sayed the 5050 is a so so camera , oh well live and learn.
bob1xxx, perhaps there is a problem with your 5050. True the 5050 is not the lowest noise 5 MP camera out there but the noise is in no way excessive. Regarding the exposure i havent noticed any tendency to overexpose. I´d suggest before you sell it (and loose money) get it checked by Olympus, perhaps you got a deffective one.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 10:28 PM   #7

I have had a C5050-Z for over a year and have been quite impressed with its image quality-- and, even on the highest ISO setting (400), although there is noise, it tends to be of the uniform patterned type that approximates the graininess of pushing the ISO on film. In fact, I recently bought a Nikon D70 (6.1MP DSLR) and the image quality of the C5050-Z easily rivals the Nikon at low ISO levels (similar to others' findings in comparison to the Olympus E-20 DSLR). I think the sharpness of the images is what I find most pleasing, and the colors have been satisfactory. Admittedly, I am no professional, but in the end it's all about image quality. Here's one sample (which could use some rework but looks pretty good).
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:19 PM   #8

If you consider PC World magazine as anything of a reliable review publication, it currently ranks the 5060 as the number one digital camera in the Advanced category. Image quality is ranked as "Outstanding" Given the over 4000 shots I've taken with mine, I would concur.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:57 PM   #9

Hey AVI all I can say is lucky you. My c5050 is such a hugh step down in photo quality from my old c2020 I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another olympus camera again. Ive post on other sites that peeps say send back to olympus under warranty, but from what Ive read Olympus usually sends you back the same camera in worse shape or claim nothings wrong and want to charge you a arm and a leg to send it back to you. But even if Im one of the lucky one and they swap me out a different "new recodictioned" camera I doubt the results would be much different because the base firmware programing is crap causing excessively noise, overexposed ,dull wash out colorless pictures. I really have my doubts my c5050 will be anything more than 600.00 pos. Im thinking of going to Frys here in southern ca (due to liberal 15 day return policy ) and see if I get better results with a canon a75 or a80? Im at a loss how the new generation of digital cameras take lousier pictures than five year old 2 megpixel cameras with wonkie card readers? WTF?
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:45 PM   #10

bob I think you got a dud. Unfortunately a dud makes you hate a particular camera across the board, I recently got a bad c-750 and therefore hate them. The camera I got to replace my 750 was a 5050 and I, like Avi, am a happy camper. No washed out colors either.

Attached Images

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote