Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 24, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

Has anyone had the problem where you take a photo and the activity LED just keeps on blinking? The only cure is to undo the battery cover and restart the camera then you find that the photo you took is very overexposed.

I've had this a couple of times with 2 difference SM cards and someone else on a different forum has had the same problem with a C750.

Any ideas?

Andy
oly720man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 11:06 PM   #2

You have to remember that the camera is a computer, and that computers crash...the camera is no different. You do tend to panic the first time it happens, but it's not necessarily a sign that something is wrong. My C-700 crashed 9 months ago when I was at a party and I had shot 100 pictures in an hour...I was a little worried at the time, but I simply opened the battery door for a few seconds, then closed it again, and continued shooting. I haven't had a problem since (have taken 500-1000 pictures since then).

One tip I can give...if your battery indicator turns red, and/or starts flashing, don't try to get that one last shot in...change the battery...at that point the battery may not have enough power to take the shot AND write to the card. Also don't try to squeeze out every meg on a card.

If you ever have trouble getting pictures off a card, first DON'T add any more pictures to it. There's a program you can download called, "DIR - Digital Image Recovery"...it does a good job at finding lost pictures.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 5:35 AM   #3

:?
You don't need to tell me about computers crashing, my one at work loses the network and my one at home throws a GP fault in krnl386.exe when I use Corel Photopaint 7.

What confuses me is that the picture taken when the problem occurs is completely overexposed - it's almost completely white with only a few vague details in it. It's as if it's something to do with the shutter instead of anything else.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Andy

Old May 29, 2004, 9:09 AM   #4

I am curious about your C-720. That seems to be a fairly rare C7xx model. On the question of the hang up I would wonder if the memory card played any role. Have you seen it do this with several different memory cards?
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:41 AM   #5

Pooperdog

I had the problem with a 64Mb card and 128Mb card, both on the same day. On another day it was just with one card, can't remember which though.

Haven't had any problems since.

I wonder, do the cards get fragmented and the problem occurs when the camera's trying to write data faster than the card can accept it because there isn't a "photo" sized hole?

Just a thought.

Didn't know the 720 was that rare, but now there's the 730, 740, 750, 765.. and probably others. A few people seem to have them on photo groups I've visited anyway.

Andy
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:14 AM   #6

Well, the 720 was only out about four months when the C-730 came out, probably due to complaints about the lack of manual focus on the C-720. As well, there are owners like myself who wanted to buy a C-7x0 but when they saw that there was no manual focus they avoided the 720 and bought the older C-700 (I saved $200 doing that).

There are many new models, including a C-725 but again avoid that model...all it is, is a C-720 with xD capability; that's the latest C-7x0 for the economy market.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun challenges for ALL C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
- Member of the Toronto Camera Club, http://www.torontocameraclub.com/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote