Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Just bought C-2100 UZ

Text
I've just bought the C-2100 UZ and have had great photos from it.
Fortunately I happen to work for Olympus in the UK so I managed to buy it for 190 and got a leather case thrown in as well. Boy does the Camera chew through the Batteries or what?? I went to a stag party on Friday night and lost the lens cap for it. What do you guys and gals think about filters. I have no Idea how much they are or what is recommended. Any help is much appreciated!!!Text Purple:P:P
gumpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:17 PM   #2

Well regarding batteries you should be using NiMh rechargables, 1600mAh or higher.

As for filters, I usually recommend keeping a UV filter on cameras (especially for shooting outside) to protect the lens against damage (if something bumps or cracks the lens, it's cheaper to replace the filter than to replace a lens). I actually use a Skylight 1A myself.

Also, for shooting outside you may want to get a polarizer to reduce reflections of glass and water (but you have to practice using it).

Maybe you may want to add an Orion eyecup like in http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2673

[Edited on 9-9-2002 by Mike_PEAT]
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 7:22 PM   #3
lg

Quote:
Originally posted by gumpoo
Text
...and lost the lens cap for it...
I drilled a tiny hole in my lens cap and attached it to my camera strap with a length of braided bait casting line; if I had it to do again, I just tie the line to the grooved slot on the edge of the lens cap that was obviously provided for that purpose .
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:15 PM   #4

Check this out.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2692
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:18 AM   #5

Default Lost Lens Cap On UZI

Hmm.. I just bought a lens cap tether from the local camera shop guy, but instead of depending on the peel off sticky thing to keep it attached, I added a little superglue to bond it ... TIGHT. I will be very surprised indeed if it comes off. By the way, this is off subject, but can someone explain to me what this avitar stuff/thingy is?

Enjoy your new UZI. You did GOOD. As for filters, well, start off with the UV or 'haze' filter to protect your lens, and of course get a circular polarizer and perhaps a Hoya R-72 infared so you can have some FUN.

Make sure when you order your filters you get 49 mm, so you don't have to buy step up/down rings.

I'm looking forward to your photos!

Best regards,

Willa

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by Willa]
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:18 AM   #6

Default Lost Lens Cap On UZI

Hmm.. I just bought a lens cap tether from the local camera show guy, but instead of depending on the peel off sticky thing to keep it attached, I added a little superglue to bond it ... TIGHT. I will be very surprised indeed if it comes off. By the way, this is off subject, but can someone explain to me what this avitar stuff/thingy is?

Enjoy your new UZI. You did GOOD. As for filters, well, start off with the UV or 'haze' filter to protect your lens, and of course get a circular polarizer and perhaps a Hoya R-72 infared so you can have some FUN.

Make sure when you order your filters you get 49 mm, so you don't have to buy step up/down rings.

I'm looking forward to your photos!

Best regards,

Willa
Old Sep 10, 2002, 5:20 AM   #7

I wouldn't give up my lenscap tether for anything...actually stole the cap and tether (and filters) from my 35mm for my C700 since the thread is the same (55mm for the C700 tube).

BTW, I don't think you need a circular polarizer for the C2100 (at least I only use the cheaper linear polarizer with no problems on my C700)...if you put on a linear polarizer and the exposure settings significantly changes while you rotate the polarizer looking at a bland object/surface, then you need a circular one.

I'm hoping to pick up an IR filter when I go to a camera show next month (along with a better strap, I HATE the original Oly strap).

As for the Avatar, it's for a picture of you, or something that represents you, and it has to be a link to a JPG file, NOT a link to a page. In your case, the picture you want is http://jjj.image.pbase.com/u15/willa...Shutterbug.jpg rather than the link to the page you posted.

p.s. Regarding your double post, if you click EDIT on one of them and scroll down till you see "Delete this post" select that and you can get rid of one copy.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 9:50 AM   #8

Default Lens Cap

I bought a lens cover with a flip cover off ebay. It fit my C3000 and C4040. I emailed the seller so that he would send me one for the C4040. It slides over the lens housing and allows for the zoom to extend when you power on the camera. Go to this url: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1379765150
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:50 PM   #9

Default Thanks, Mike Peat!

You're so smart! How'd you know that, lol?

Boy, just when I think I'm grasping all this stuff (with great 'fever' I might add). I get REALLY stupid.

Thanks for your help.
Till the next time.

Willa
Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:00 PM   #10

Default Mike...

Well, I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, but obviously it is something, duh. I made some changes in my control panel but they didn't seem to work. Maybe it takes a few minutes, maybe I'm dumber than I think I am. If my image doesn't appear next to this post, I give up.... for now, anyway. I'm going BLIND for crying out loud, LOL... Now I guess I'll go over to that OTHER place and see if I can relieve the folks of my multiple faces, LOL.
Thanks again.

Willa