Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:47 PM   #1

Alright, I have seen the C755 offered for a price that beats the best C750 deals I can find. IS there any reason NOT to get the 755???

Also, in your alls opinions, what would be the best Ultra Zoom to go with? I have narrowed it to the 750/FZ10/K6490. I haven't even read much on the 765 or 770.

OPinions Please. ALso, the Panasonic is probably at the very extreme end of my price range, so anything that costs more than about 550 is out of reach.

Thanks very much!
Hornseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:14 PM   #2

If I remember it right in other forums that the 755 is for the Japanese market only, hence the menu is japanese characters
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3

Can't really comment on the Panasonic or Kodak, although the Panasonic's IS would surely be useful at telephoto - or wide angle, for that matter - in low light.

The FZ10 had not yet been introduced when I bought my C750 last October. I read reviews of the FZ10 when it did come out to see if I goofed with the C750, and to the best of my recollection the reviews and sample images indicated that Oly's image processing was somewhat better than Panasonic's. I've generally been very pleased with the C750. Rarely get handshake at telephoto in broad daylight. Very intuitive menu system, feature rich. Shutter lag and slow AF, but that's common to most consumer digicams in this price range - particularly long-zooms like the C750. AF performance can be frustrating in low light, but that, too is common, although an AF assist lamp would help with interior shots. That said, I've had good results achieving AF lock in extremely low light, so go figure.

Noise levels fairly low at ISO 100 (I rarely use 200 and never 400). Good in-camera noise reduction, and it can be cleaned up further in post-processing.

No such thing as a one-camera solution unless you get a dSLR. The C750 has its limitations (I've mentioned a few) but all consumer digicams do. I was aware of them when I bought but decided I wanted Oly's image and build quality. Have not been disappointed. Would definitely recommend a lens tube/adapter and UV(0) filter to protect the floating objective (lens assembly) from jarring, dust, water, etc.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:22 AM   #4

primo wrote:
Quote:
If I remember it right in other forums that the 755 is for the Japanese market only, hence the menu is japanese characters
Right now Costco US has the C-755 for a very good price. It would have to be in English or else they couldn't sell it like that.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:30 PM   #5

How good of a price are you getting on that 755? I just picked up a 750 from Office Depot for $300 including tax after 2 x $50 mail in rebates. I haven't seen any of the 74x or higher series for less than $300.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:10 AM   #6

Wow, KUOH, that is unreal. I will check that out asap.. Costco is at 374 + shipping!

Butterfly has the C765 for 364, no shipping right now. I almost ordered, then I noticed it had the lithium battery. Whats everyones opinion on those??? I dont really care for my infolithium in my Sony vid cam. I wonder how they stack up?

Does anyone know if you can turn off all the goofy sounds the C-750 makes? I am most interested in wildlife photography, and in close they will start at that noise?

Finally, my new choice that I hadn't seen yet is the Canon IS. THat looks like a sweet cam, and comparable price, as the FZ is 'just" outta my budget!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:48 PM   #7

Yes, you can silence start-up, shut-downand shutter sounds.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The Canon IS is cheaper than the FZ10 b/s it's only 3Mp.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Lithium ions are ok, but I prefer NiMH's - much cheaper. Sadly, they will probably go the way of the dodo in higher end consumer digicams.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:07 PM   #8

The only drawback with Office Depot is that you have to find one with stock and send in the 2 x $50 rebates, but it's worth the trouble to me. Some people have reported getting the display model with an additional discount which works out to about $250 after rebates.

If macro, AA sized batteries, ISO 50 and a remote is important to you, then I wouldn't go with the 765. As for the included lithium batteries, those are not the same as the Sony Infolithiums and are not rechargeable, but they do last a long time. I have a pair of those CRV3's in the camera bag for emergencies, but use NiMH rechargeables normally.

All the sounds can be disabled, though you will still hear the mechanical shutter click, but it isn't very loud.

KuoH

Hornseeker wrote:
Quote:
Wow, KUOH, that is unreal. I will check that out asap.. Costco is at 374 + shipping!

Butterfly has the C765 for 364, no shipping right now. I almost ordered, then I noticed it had the lithium battery. Whats everyones opinion on those??? I dont really care for my infolithium in my Sony vid cam. I wonder how they stack up?

Does anyone know if you can turn off all the goofy sounds the C-750 makes? I am most interested in wildlife photography, and in close they will start at that noise?
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:15 PM   #9

Alright, I have researched these things till my eyes have failed me for the last couple days. I decided I want the compact size, so the FZ10 is out, plus with accessories the FZ10 is going to be over 600 dollars, + I dont like the proprietory batteries, would rather use rechargeable AA's.

That left me with the 750, S1 IS or the 6490. Is the Canons video that much better than the others? Video will be pretty limited for me, I'll mostly be taking family pics and landscapes and wildlife pics. Little, short vid clips at most.

I am really leaning towards the 750 and can pick it up for about $350 right now. Can I go wrong with it for what I want?

Thanks for anymore opinions.

Ernie