Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:06 PM   #1

Hi,

I´m looking for a 8 megapixels camera. I´ve seensome reviews about some cameras. The Olympus 8080 would be a good choice, considering anothers 8MB cameras (Canon, Pentax, Nikon...)??

Thnaks, Ghiggi
Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:20 AM   #2

I bought the c8080 and love it but everyone will have their own preferences.

Good luck in choosing.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:39 AM   #3

In genreal, it's a good choice over Canon, Nikon, Sony and Konica Minolta. The minolta has better EVF, the Sony has the fastest AF speed, Canon has outsatnding color, but overall, the Olympushas the highest overall score.

Cheers:-)

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:15 PM   #4

I TOTALY agree with Tuanokc.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:30 AM   #5
blr

I don't wanna be an opposition here, just my opinion-I think 8MP is an overkill. To me, for all practical purposes 5-6 MP is enough. At this high pixel count the image quality is limited by the optics. I don't think any of these cameras have good enough optics to sustain the sensor resolution. There are also physical limits to how small each pixel can be. After that there is no gain in resolution, due to light diffraction.

The only good think about it is that you can crop yourpictures (or use digital zooming) quite a lot and still have a high resolution image, but the price is larger files and possibly slower camera operation. If I was to pick up a camera today I'd choose one of the 5MP cameras for less money or a digital SLR for the same price as an 8MP.

Just my opnion, I hope I didn't upset anybody.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6

That's a fair comment, but it's mostly the small CCD size that's the issue...with more MP on a small CCD it's easier to generate noise due to the lack of ability to dispell heat. Of course if you get into the larger CCD or CMOS dSLR cameras where the picture element is the size of a frame of film, then MP isn't such an issue.

And of course there's the digital backs for medium and large format cameras, like the Phase One H25 for the Mamiya RZ67 which is a 22MP CCD but it has a 40mmX50mm capture area...FYI, it creates a 121MB RGB file and just for the digital back (not including the camera body or lens) costs about $30,000.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:54 PM   #7

Olympus didn't throw in an 8 megapixel CCD in thier camera without considering the optics.
The total size of the CCD is larger on All 8 meg's than a 5 meg.
The C-8080 has won awards and for good reason. Number one being superior optics especially made for the CCD.
Not all camera makers redesigned thier optics to match the 8 meg CCD.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote