Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 7, 2004, 2:37 AM   #1

Hello!

I am new in the digital world and am looking around what to buy. Can't decide btween this on and Nikon coolpix 3700. Thay are very different cameras but both have very good points.

I would like it to be compact but, more imortant is very good picturequality inauto mode.

I like the 770 very much (big zoom, movie..) but is this too much camera for me. Does it take nice pictures on auto or do you have to start playing around with it?

I would also like to know if the camera gets heavy after using it for a while?

Is it comfortabel to carry around?

Thank you very much!

ED
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:32 PM   #2

Ed-- I am a complete newbie to the digital realm, also, and I can't believe how easy it is to take great photos in "auto" with the C770. It is the smallest camera on the market with a 10X zoom. Check out some pics:

http://www.olympus.ofoto.com/BrowseP...1&sort_order=0
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3

Hi Scotious,

I am been researching and researching for quality digital cameras. My co-worker bought the Minolta Diamge Z1 which is bulkier than the Olympus C770, but the menus look simple to use. I downloaded the manual for the C770 and it was 266 pages!!! Yipes. I'm just a beginner and it doesn't seem easy or user friendly to me.

What I am really interested in is: 1) Ease of use 2) Picture quality 3) Due to the 10X zoom, pictures might not be clear.

In your experience: do you think I should purchase the C770 or the Canon 1 IS or the Minolta Diamge Z1 for my needs?

Thanks,

Glenn

glennshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:39 PM   #4

Hi!

I'm waiting now for the new pentax optio mx which is even more compact...

It should be in the shops in the near future.

Good luck!

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5

Glenn--I haven't used the other cameras you mentioned, but researched pretty heavily. The S1 focus problems seem pretty severe, and I had heard the Minoltas are "flimsy". I also wanted that extra megapixel, don't know why.

But I can't stress enough how easy it has been to get great pictures. I'm still working on trying to take a great "photograph", but I am getting way more hits than misses as I take my "snapshots." I'll enclose a couple of links to my Ofoto albums if you want to check some out. Remember-- almost every photo was taken in "auto" mode. Some at full zoom. Some with macro.

I had a couple of the flower shots blown up to 16 X 20 and they are now on my wall. These shots were taken at HQ (third best) and they look pretty great, if I do say so myself.

The little thing is extremely comfy in my hand/s. I can snap with one hand if the other is busy.

I have started to explore manual features, and I can see great value in getting to know this camera better-- especially when the light startys to wane but, out of the box, in all auto mode, I can't imagine an easier way to record your world.

This is not a sales pitch, just my experience.

Here are a couple of links (yes, that's my band-- I'm on acoustic guitar, so obviously I didn't shoot that batch.)-- and then a couple of photos from this morning. Have fun! --Scott

[http://tinyurl.com/3bs76
]
[http://tinyurl.com/2w2vk]
Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:13 PM   #6

The Oly 770 takes great pictures in auto mode - only thing I dont like about it is the AF - the camera sometimes made funny decisions what to focus...

Not that the pictures were bad... but surprising now and then.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote