Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1

Hi im new to the forum and i am pondering weather to buy the 8080 and just wondererd how u guys got on with the 5x zoom, and if you thing u need more zoom like the nikon 8700.

Cheers

Ryan:?
RyDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:48 PM   #2

The Minolta A2 is 28-200. It doesn't have the reach of the 8700 but the wide angle is great for scenery, interiors etc. And the stabilization gives a lot more versatility.

The 5X is a little deceiving as it starts from a medium wide angle. The standard is to consider 50mm one power so that 140mm (35mm equivalent) would be almost 3 power. But I think the actual one power is 57mm (the diagonal of a 35mm frame) which makes the 140mm only 2 ½ power. Even the 200 on the A2 is only about 3.5 power by that measure and 4 power using 50mm as one power. The 280mm on the 8700 gives 5 power going by the diagonal measurement, but you lose the 28mm.

There is a lot of discussion on the Panasonic board about putting adapters on the FZ10 to get more focal length, and that is 420mm equivalent (12X). I have a FZ10 and admit there are times I would like more zoom with the nice stabilization. 140mm equivalent is limiting on the 8080, but the wide angle is also very useful.

It comes down to what you want to use the camera for. I use the FZ10 mostly for nature photography and the long zoom is appropriate. I have an older Minolta with 28-200 but without the stabilization. For an "only" camera I think the wide angle might be more useful for general family and vacation photography. My little pocket Oly doesn't have a wide angle and I have to take panoramas with the camera held vertically to simulate a wide angle.

I think I would opt for the A2 as an "only" camera based on what is available, but there are a lot of compromises whatever you choose. I've just become addicted to the stabilization and wouldn't want to be without it on anything I bought that didn't fit in my pocket.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:51 AM   #3

The bottom line is IMAGE QUALITY and the C-8080 is far superior.
The proof is in the pics , so just compare and then decide.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

For the best optical performance, 28mm-140mm is pretty much the limit for the design of P/S camera, strecth beyond 140mm, you get a better range but the performance starts to fall off. Nikon starts with 35mm, a little short of wide angle, but extends to 280mm, the optical performance is not great. Minolta, Sony and Canon all have the same range: 28-200mm, APO, Carl Zeiss and L glass are the features for these lenses, Canon and Sony have better performance than the Minolta, while the Anti-share feature on the Minolta is a plus, but compare to industry standards, like VR on the Nikon, or IS on Canon, it's still a a long way to catch up. Out of the new five 8 megapix P/S camera, the Olympus' 28-140mm rated as the best in my book, outstanding performance, great color results, you can almost feel that when you see the size of this lens, it has the 58mm filter thread.

Here is my ranking for the optical performance for the 5 (8) megpix cameras:

1. Olympus 28-140mm ED

2. Sony 28-200mm Carl Zeiss (fastest lens in the group, outstanding AF (performance, 58mm filter)

3. Canon 28-200mm L lens ( no filter thread, has adapter, but you can't put both on at the same time)

4. Minolta 28-200mm APO

5. Nikon 35-280mm LD

Cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:40 PM   #5

Thanks alot for your help guys

RyDz is offline   Reply With Quote