Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:54 AM   #1

Basically, can I extend the 760UZ's zoom range using a CLA-4 and a 55mm tele-photo/conversion lens at a relatively cheap price. Why, going to South Africa this year and I'm not sure that 10x will be enough, I'd rather have a cheap tele-convertor to hand to extend the range to where I can take more pictures of the animals than their environment?
Andy@HomeOnMyPc.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:33 AM   #2

You get what you pay for, and if you're talking about one of those so-called 2x "titanium" "high definition" teleconverters on E-Bay from Vision Optics, Crystal Optics, etc., they're garbage (most people who have tried them have said they're not even 2x, they're 1.7x or less).

There are some great teleconverters from Olympus and Raynox that are worth what you pay for.

Here's a page showing various Raynox lenses on the camera (no C-760 listed, so have to use C-750 example)...just click on the lens and it will take you to sample pictures:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

Note, you will still have a 10x camera whether you have a teleconver (or wide-angle converter) on the camera or not...just your range will be different. Normally the camera is 38-380mm...with a 2x teleconverter the range will be 76-760mm which is still 10x zoom. Just for example if you put on a .66x wide angle converter, your range will be 25-250mm which is again a 10x zoom. The zoom factor is measured from the widest wide angle to the closest telephoto.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun challenges for ALL C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

- Member of the Toronto Camera Club, http://www.torontocameraclub.com/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3

Hi,

I use an original Olympus teleconverter for my 5050 and it works great! And your are right on gamedrives in africa you need all the zoom you can get, but remeber teher isn't much licht in early morning or in the evening when the best time for gamedrives is.

Gunter
lance201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:46 PM   #4

Mike, is that Yahoo group a free deal or what? I tried to sign up but it asks for a credit card number? Whats up?
Hornseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:08 PM   #5

One more thing you might think of that i havent seen anyone talk about. With the 770 and 765 they have a new setting called super zoom. This will give you a extra 4x optical NOT DIGITAL OPTICAL. its only on the 2 new 765 and 770. When you do this it brings total zoom out to 14x. And i dont know if you have even tryed the digital zoom with the new 4.0 cameras but its damm good. Its not optical of course but it is a free 40x built into the camera.
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:29 AM   #6

Hornseeker wrote:
Quote:
Mike, is that Yahoo group a free deal or what? I tried to sign up but it asks for a credit card number? Whats up?
That's news to me...no one has ever said anything about needing a credit card to join a group. In fact, you can just join by entering in your email address so you don't need a full Yahoo account. I suggest you try again:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote