Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:42 PM   #1

I've narrowed it down to the Olympus C-5000 and the C-750UZ and now I'm stymied. I just don't know what to do...

I can get the C-5000 for $500 CAD and the C-750 for $700 CAD. I like the idea of the 10x optical zoom on the C-750UZ, but I could do without it. Still, I'm not sure I should buy the C-5000. Can anyone offer me something to tip the balance?

For me the big plusses for the C-750UZ are the standard remote control, rechargeable non-proprietary batteries and the seemingly excellent image quality. The points against the C-5000 are optional remote control, proprietary batteries, below average shooting performance leading to missing spontaneous events, horizontal banding on blue sky, and red-eye problems. Are these image problems serious enough to make it worth buying a camera that costs $100 (C-765UZ)or $200 (C-750UZ) more? The C-5000 is still rated as a Steve's Best Buy, but truthfully, I'm not sure why if it has these problems.

If I give up on the non-proprietary batteries and the remote control, then perhaps the C-765UZ might be a good compromise because I can get it for $600 CAD. Does anyone know why it is cheaper than the C-750 (remote control?)? How much would you care about the batteries and remote control?

What's a girl to do?

Thank you so much for your help!
newbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

Wow, is that $700 Canadian dollars? I just picked up a new C-750 for $400 and a display model for $300 here in the US!

What kind of shots are you most interested in taking? The 750 is great for outdoors, action, and macro shots. The remote is handy andthe AA sized batteries are a big plus, but the 10x zoom is awsome. I haven't used a C5000 so I can't give you a comparison, but I don't see any sky banding problems or any other problems with the 750.

The 765 is missing the hot shoe and macro shooting modes in additional to the loss of remote and AA compatibility, but it is a bit smaller than the 750. However, by the time you by a spare battery, or two, you're probably fairly close to the cost of the 750.

KuoH

KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:20 PM   #3

Yes, that's Canadian dollars, so it's not as bad as it seems, but still yours is likely cheaper.

I think I would prefer to get the 750, but I am now considering another issue that will decrease my budget. I want to use the camera on a 3-week trip. So, I've decided to buy something like the Apacer Disc Steno CP-200. Do you think this is agood solutionfor a trip, combined with a 256MB xD card?

To use the Apacer Disc Steno with the Olympus xD cards, I will apparently need an adapter. So, I was looking into this and read the following: "Please Note: Do not format an xD card while in the xD Compact Flash Adapter. xD cards should only be formatted in a digital camera with a built-in xD media slot."

My understanding of how the Disc Steno works is that it will copy the photos and then erase/format the card. So, will this be a problem if you are not supposed to format the xD card when it is in the adapter?

Is the need for an adapter a valid reason for considering another camera brand, such as Nikon? I had decided to pick one good brand and limit myself to choosing within it because I am somewhat overwhelmed even with this much choice:?. Perhaps I should reconsider and look into other brands...? If it weren't for this, I'd be happy with Olympus.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 3:25 PM   #4

Note that the C750 is also plagued w/ substantial shutter lag. They're 2 completely different cameras in some respects - the 10X is good, but unless oyu shott alot of wildlife, architectural details, etc. it's of limited utility. Statistically you'll find yourself using a wide-angle setting mroe than telephoto. I'm generally very pleased w/ my C750, but I was aware of its limitations when I bought it. Has been reliable and offers great image quality for a 10X w/ a type 1/2.5 CCD. But my next camera will either be a dSLR or a wide zoom - probably 28-140. You can't really go wrong either way, but ask yourself what works best for you.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 7:20 PM   #5

The C5000 measured even worse in that respect along with an agonizingly slow startup time compared to the C750. The C5000 does appear to be more conducive to purse carrying, if that matters.

As to the question of whether the CD archiver should be allowed to format the memory card, I would think that the option could be turned off. Though even if it couldn't be disabled, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

KuoH

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
Note that the C750 is also plagued w/ substantial shutter lag.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:58 PM   #6

newbuyer, before you purchase something like a
Quote:
Apacer Disc Steno
you may wish to consider since you are in Canada purchasing a second large xD card instead. I don't know where your located or what that Apacer will cost you but http://www.canadacomputers.com/has Oly xD cards for very reasonable prices and its where I picked up my 512mb card from for $184cdn.:-)On the SHQ 2288x1712 jpeg setting the camera says I can take 184 shots and on the HQ 2288x1712 jpeg setting it says I can take 523 pictures. Since I also have a 256mb xD card I bought with the camera original I can pretty well shoot as much as I want to in SHQ mode or HQ modeand not really ever have to worry about running out of room on the cards.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:38 AM   #7

These have been very informative replies!

I appreciate it all very much!

Thank you!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:35 PM   #8

Some of my C-750 pictures.......Maybe this will help?

WAYNEBRUNET.FOTOPIC.NET
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:25 PM   #9

I went through the exact same toss up a few months ago. In the end I decided on a C5000. Call me cheap (my friends do ) but I couldn't justify the extra expense for the long zoom on the C750. I have not regretted my decision for a second. I love this camera!
elfuego is offline   Reply With Quote