Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:16 AM   #1

Sent this message off to Olympus, but it has fallen into the black hole - no response at all from Olympus. Here's the issue.

I download pictures to a win98SE machine via USB. This machine has 384M of RAM and a a 40G hard drive with lots of room left. After connecting and have downloaded pictures from the camera, I "eject" the drive via the "my computer" and right clicking on eject (the camera appears to all the right things). When I shut the camera off to remove the usb cable(after doing the eject and waiting for the camera green LED to stop flashing), the computer locks up. The culpret is the msgsrv process on the pc, stating that it isn't responding. I can end the task, but I have to reboot right way as the PC becomes somewhat unstable. Other USB devices on the system work fine. My Toshiba PDA, my SanDisk flash storage key, my 6 in 1 USB memory card reader and the veo cameraall function fine. I do have an Iomega Parallel Port Zip drive. It's driver has a scsi driver loaded in the system. It works fine. I've re-installed numerous times the Olympus driver for windows 98SE onto my PC, but nothing seems to fix this very anoying problem. I can download all the pictures without issue, just when you disconnect the camera the PC locks up. I've tried the camera on a few XP machines and everything works fine, but I use a 98SE for my picture downloads.

Anyone with other ideas? What drivers should be in the windows/system directory? What should the revision levels of the drivers your driver is compatible with. Is there a way to completely uninstall the camera usb driver and start from scratch (the files still stay on the PC when I use the driver uninstall feature). What registry keys should be removed if I want to really fully remove the driver and start from scratch?

In advance, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

sma

justanfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2

Do you get a "Remove hardware" icon in the system tray when the camera is connected? If so, you might try using it to disconnect instead of the "Eject" option in "My Computer". I have a W98 PC very like yours and it always needs a lot of care when removing mass storage devices connected via USB.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 6:29 PM   #3

no icon (that would be nice). I've actually started toying with the registry. No success. I think I'll leave the registry alone as I'm sure I'll break the OS if continue. For now I'll just reboot after downloading (what a drag). Thanks for the response however.

sma
justanfae is offline   Reply With Quote