Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:14 AM   #1

Hi,

I have an Olympus C750.

When I use the Camedia software that came with the camera, to stitch shots together and produce a panorama, the panorama produced has a 'boomerang' bent distortion to it (like a shallow 'U')

Is there some way I can stop that happening?

Am I doing something wrong, or is that what happens when you try to get a panorama shot? :? It doesn't look very natural.

Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:17 AM   #2

Use panorama function in Photoshop (file->automated->panorama-something I think) or get another program to do it. There is lots of programs only to make panoramas. Don't remember any right nowthough...
Luthion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:26 PM   #3

Panorama Factory is easy to use and can give excellent results but I haven't used it in ages, and not at all so far with my C750. From memory, it only does left/right pans, not up/down but they may have updated it, dunno. It helps if you look at the EXIF for the lens focal length info and input that into PF in the relevant box (rather than letting PF guess) so asto avoid the banana look.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Luthion.

I take it then, that this distortion must be the fault of the 'Camedia' software, and is not normal?

I'l get hold of another program and try that.

Spearo.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:12 PM   #5

Thanks for that Steve - I'll have a look for 'Panorama Factory'

One thing - I'm a pure novice here! :roll:

When you say "It helps if you look at the EXIF for the lens focal length info and input that into PF in the relevant box (rather than letting PF guess) so asto avoid the banana look."

What is 'EXIF'? and how do you find the focal length in it ?

Thanks.

Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:26 AM   #6

I like the Camedia software for stitching. I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the Pro upgrade and it is also good for random stitching. But about the only thing I like about the Camedia software is its stitching ability.

I tried Panorama factory and didn't like it. With the Oly camera and software you don't need complex software to stitch something. The Camedia software requires a lot less overlap to stitch. The panorama mode flags and numbers the panoramas so you just have to pull them in the stitching box. My S4 requires more sophisticated software because Pentax doesn't have a clue how to make a panorama mode. It doesn't fix the exposure with the first shot like the Oly cameras do.

If you are going to purchase stitching software get the Windows GUI for Panorama Tools. It is inexpensive and very powerful.

There are 4 stitching modes in the basic Camedia software. Have you tried them all? I seldom shoot panoramas in any focal length other than wide so there isn't any reason to consult the EXIF. EXIF Image Viewer if free and gives the full EXIF for each image. It is a handy little program because it will show thumbnails of all images in a folder including subfolders and it is very fast:
http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

These are some stitches I had online for other discussions done with Camedia software.

Handheld 3 shots with the camera held horizontally - uncropped:

2 shots with the camera held vertically to give 28mm shot with 38mm lens:

4 shots stitched with the pro version:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:38 AM   #7

Hi Slipe - I have Camedia Master 4.1 and it only has the auto stitch listed in the menu, no others, and no 'free stitch' (as is mentioned in the help file!)
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:59 PM   #8

The reason you get a "U" shaped panorama is the you have the camera pointing slightly down. You need to ensure that your camera is level. If you have a normal flat horizon, then if it is in the middle of the shot,your camera is level.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:29 PM   #9

Hi Dnas

Well that could be it then - the shots I've been taking are from an elevated position looking downwards at a harbour view.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:59 AM   #10

I have taken a few Panoramas with my c750 and using the Olympus Camedia software the results have always been lousy.

In every single one there are strong and very noticeable joins which can be made worse by small exposure differences between shots. Another problem I noticed is that after taking a series of pictures for aPanorama when reviewing the shots on my computer I accidentally rotated one of the middle ones and the Camedia software absolutely refused to allow a panorama be made of the series. Strangely enough it would make a panorama of the series when one of the pictures was in landscape and all the others portrait (very psychadelic result), but not when the odd one out was rotated back in line with the others - go figure!

I have since used the trial version of Panorama Factory which can be downloaded for free and the results have been excellent by comparison. The program is easy to use either in the "Wizard" mode or just by jumping straight into the program itself. Where the Camedia software produced warped pictures, Panorama Factory provided nice flat horizon lines, no noticeable joins and smooth shading across all component pictures of the Panorama.

For simple panoramas Panorama Factory will probably do the job fine, for something more complex (spherical panoramas) I have heard many people saying that Panorama Tools is the business.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote