Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:20 AM   #1

I have an Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoomdigitalcamera, which has a facility for recording 4 seconds of sound on still pictures. Until now I have never tried to use this feature, but am having problems in getting it to work. I have followed the instructions to enable sound to be recorded, and ½ second after taking a photo the bar appears on the display screen to indicate that recording is taking place as I speak towards the camera's inbuilt microphone.
When the photo is displayed on the camera screen, in the top right corner is an icon of a music note between square brackets. This icon is not featured in any of the illustrations in the camera manual, nor can I see any reference to it in the text. When the sound recording feature is switched off no such icon appears on subsequent photos, so presumably the icon indicates that the sound recording feature was switched on when that photo was taken. However when the photos are downloaded to myPC (using the supplied Olympus Camedia Master software) the Help file states that there should be a loudspeaker icon in the top right corner of the thumbnail image, but my images do not show any icon. Furthermore, displaying the properties of a downloaded photo makes no reference to whether or not sound has been recorded for that particular image.
Please could someone with knowledge of this camera give me some idea of what (if anything) I may be doing or omitting to do that is causing this problem, and also if the photo's properties should show whether or not sound has been recorded.

Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:57 AM   #2

You should be able to play the files using Windows Explorer. The sound file should have the same name as the picture it's associated with except with a .WAV extention. Just click it and it will play.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:36 AM   #3

Mikefellh

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I couldn't find any associated .wav files. I managed to contact Olympus Support (in Prague!) and the man there experimented with the same camera, but a later edition of the software. He told me about there being a .wav file associated with the image .jpg file but my PC was not displaying ANY .wav files related to the .jpg files. He promised to send me a CD with the later version of Camedia Master (mine is v2.0) but it has not yet arrived.

However I did a Google search and found http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_drivers.htmland this led me to Olympus-America's site http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...amp;OS=Windowsfrom from where I was able to download and install a softwareupdate to v2.01. This has now worked and I can download the .jpg and .wav files for each image where sound has been recorded, and the thubnails now show the loudspeaker icon. So now I can go on holiday, confident that I can record sound captions for any photos that I take :-). Incidentally I did eventually find references to the 'music icon' in the camera manual.
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote