Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:39 AM   #1

Love my C-770, but... Why is the default mode for the microphone *off*? Can I change this -- permanently-- to *on*? Can't quite see the logic in the default being off--

Thanks for any help here--
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:35 AM   #2

I don't have a 770 but my Oly has a menu choice of whether I want to revert to default settings every time I switch the camera on or keep settings. I would bet it is a feature of the 770 as well. You need to spend some time in the manual with a new camera.

Oly usually has the manual available for download from their site. You can then use the nice search features of Acrobat Reader to quickly find things – like "default".
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

Exactly so, Slipe. I wasn't very thorough with the manual... Thanks--
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:23 PM   #4

Most of olympus cameras have a setting called all reset. It is mode menu in the last tab wich is setup tab. The first item in there is all reset. If this is on wich it is in your case it will reset the camera to default every time you power it off then back on. All you have to do is go into the menu and turn this setting off. This will keep your settings NOTE!!!!! if you play with settings and change somthing you not sure you changed just turn that back on and do a rest to defaults. That shoud get you on your way
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:24 PM   #5

I don't know about the 770, but "All Reset" was default with my C50. Strange that Oly would do that as most people would expect the camera to hold the settings.

Don't overlook MyMode. It gives you a set of settings you can go to without having to check where you left the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:07 PM   #6

All true-- and thanks all. But this turned out to be a little trickier because you can (apparently) have a mic "on" setting for stills-- and the mic for video is still off. This I learned the hard way. I got a bunch of useless 4 second "sound bites." You need to enter video mode to change the video sound. Logical, yes, but it was a gotcha for me , anyway. Of course, if I could just notice the little mic icon in the viewfinder I would've known it was still off--
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:23 PM   #7

I was just going to write a plea for help regarding my movie sound problem with my new 770 when I came across your letter with the exact problem. Small world, eh? Anyway, the main reason I bought the 770 was because I wanted the larger image with the MPEG4. Well, that's great, but there is evidently no way to change the default to sound "on". Unbelieveable! Do the people that designed this camera think most people in this day and age would rather shoot movies with no sound? I'm having enough problems understanding how to work this camera without this problem too. I don't want to send it back because I bought it on the net, and don't want to put up with the hassle , so may just put it in the closet till I cool down. Also, there doesn't seem to be a human I can talk to about this, as I've tried calling for help and get nowhere. Please let me know if you can figure out a way to get the sound "on" as the default. I'll do likewise for you. Good luck! Jay in Texas
tikiewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:38 PM   #8

I just tried your solution about "all reset" for the sound "on" as default on my new 770. Thanks so much. I can sleep tonight! It really worked, so I will now take my camera out of the closet and start using it again. Jay in Texas
tikiewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:34 AM   #9

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Exactly so, Slipe. I wasn't very thorough with the manual... Thanks--
Have you read the reference manual that's on the CD (in PDF, Adobe Acrobat format)? It goes into a LOT MORE DETAIL.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

- Member of the Toronto Camera Club, http://www.torontocameraclub.com/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:26 AM   #10

Thanks, Mike-- yeah, I do have the PDF manual, but common sense might have gotten me there (if i had used it.) Thanks for the referral. --Scott