Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:55 AM   #1

Hi everyone!

I just recently bought an Olympus C-310 Zoom (aka D-540 in US) digicam. I am a beginner in digital photography so bought this entry-level unit. Thereis no resource I could find about the cons of the C310, butonly their attractive features for its price.

This is my second day of use of the C-310... testing its functions. I got to switch the monitor off and and gota fewpictures. I forgot what to press to bring back the monitor on, so I pressed anything... til i got it back on. Unfortunately, it displayed the only themenu and it simply stopped responding on the button clicks.

I dint know what to do next. After a few minutes, I tried powering it off just to restart. It didn't turn off even when the switch was in "off" position already. I panicked! The lens was still protruded and the C310 just completely hanged-up. I had to remove the batteries just to restart it again.

Anybody gotany ideas as to what happened?
staracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2

...just to add...

I was able to find a "customer" review of the said unit. Her's is a D-540. (the same make of the C-310) She experienced the same problem within a week after her purchase. It also "frozen-up" on her on several occassions when the LCD monitor was turned off while in shooting mode. Here's the link of that review...
http://www.circuitcity.com/display_r...es=33&No=0

I think this is terribly bad if the cause of the problem is the firmware (or software) of the unit. Here's the reason...: In a low-light environment, the LCD monitor won't help you see clearly the subject you want to take a picture of. You would need to use the viewfinder... but it wouldn't help much if you have the LCD monitor on because small amounts of light coming from it hits your eye and makes it difficult to see through the viewfinder. (its like trying to look to an object behind a lightsource aimed at you in the dark) You may also never need to view through the monitor when you're outdoors on sunny days. You would really need to turn the LCD monitor off on several occassions.

staracer is offline   Reply With Quote