Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:07 PM   #1

It appears that Olympus have purposely gone for a reduced zooming compared to it's main competitors ie. Canon,Nikon & Sony to ensure better quality optic's. The more you increase zooming range the more a manufacturer must comprise I feel. I am seriously looking at purchasing a 8080 here in the UK, because it looks the best of the 8 mp camera's at present. Comments please
Stanpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:37 PM   #2

I'm in agreement with you on that one. The C-8080 is currently sitting in the top spot on my wish list for my next camera. I was thinking of selling my 750uz to help pay for the 8080 but have decided to hold onto it since it will fullfill my 1 regret with the 8080...and thats the lack of extreme zoom range. I'm also very happy that my investment in 256mb and 512mb xD cards for the 750uz won't go to waste if/when I purchase an 8080 since it supports both xD and CF cards. :-)Its unfortunate that the 8080 doesn't use AA batteries....but its not a big deal since it seems to have excellent battery life with its lith-ion battery which may mean I won't need to buy a spare....
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:49 AM   #3

After many months of researching, reading reviews, going back and reading them all over again I finally decided to go with the C8080. It does not have the same range as the others, but image quality was important, as well as the build of the camera. At least hold a few camerasto see how they feel and last of all go with your best judgement.
PS The reviews are quite spot on, no red eye, great clearimages, strong build and I think the chunky look of the camera looks great. Take a look at a cropped image I took of a family member.

Best of luck
mvasteve
Attached Images

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:24 PM   #4

8080 Digital zoom cropped compressed. Lonnie
Attached Images

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:06 PM   #5

That is really impressive!!! I am also looking at the 8080 as a replacement for my S5000.
medic4tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:02 PM   #6

Many thanks to MVASteve & Lonnie for the excellent quality close-ups, which clearly show the quality of this lens. Has anyone yet tried any of the additional convertor screw-on lens to extend the wide angle or the other to extend to 200mm ( 35 mm speke). This would be at a later date a possible additional purchase if results proved encourging.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Stanpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:17 AM   #7

For Stanpic:

I'm ordering these items shortly for my C8080WZ:

Lens Adapter Tube (CLA- 8 [Item #200449]

TCON-1.4D Telephoto Conversion Lens [Item #200448]

Remote Control (RM-1) [Item #200597] (Not sure yet, I want to know ifit controls the manual focus.)

I'll let you know the results.

Ciao!

Mart
Badhabit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:09 AM   #8

Mart, the extra buttons on the RM-1 control zoom, but as far as I know they do not control focus. I learned this on dpreview.com at this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8438540

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:54 AM   #9

Well, I read the thread, thank you sent, thank you very much. But it's not clear about all the controls avaible on the RM1. Have a look at the picture here:

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=200597-410

You can clearly see the W and T button that controls the Zoom. But what is the fucntionof the 2 green arrows under these 2 buttons? It might be just for scrolling the pictures...

Ciao!

Mart

Badhabit07 is offline   Reply With Quote