Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 14, 2002, 7:54 PM   #1

Default Data loss on smartmedia w/ C-2100uz

I am attempting to recover jpg images taken with an Olympus C-2100uz on a 128mb Dane Smartmedia card. I use Windows 2000.

The pictures were available for viewing on the camera, and I can see the file structure when I access the drive, but the folder for images shows zero files. The drive shows 90mb+ of space used, however, so I know there is data to be recovered.

I tried accessing the images directly from the Olympus using the USB cable as well as using my SanDisk Imagemate Smartmedia reader, but got the same results - the correct file structure with zero files shown.

I even tried plugging the card reader into my laptop, but it produced the same thing. When I attempt to view the card's contents on my camera, it says "no pictures".

My husband booted into Linux Redhat 7.3 w/ Gnome Desktop to see if it would see anything else, but all it shows is the file structure, and in that just one file: desktop.ini .

Any ideas? I am desperate here, but cash poor and can't afford to send my card in to a data recovery service. The pictures I took today have sentimental value and I really want to get them back.

Help!?
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 8:19 PM   #2

this is becoming a reagular item with these cards.

this is the best recovery software available and easy to use. it is $29 and well worth it no matter what media u use

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

if the images are there it will recover it. you can try it first to see if it will work. it will show the images but won't save them. you must pay to save.

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3

Wow, fast reply - thank you! I'm not home right now and can't get my friend's system to recognize the card reader or the camera, but I will give this a try when I get back home tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

This is the first time I've had this problem with this card -- why'd it have to be my 128mb instead of my 64mb?
Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:29 AM   #4

After we tried the demo of this and realized the pictures were salvageable, my husband and I did some deep digging on Google and found someone who still had the original freeware Digital Image Recovery program. The majority of the sites which list it just link to a now-defunct page listed in German, but DH found a link buried about 15 pages deep in the hits. Good show, chap!

The program worked GREAT and I got all my pictures off the card.

If you see any links to "home.arcor.de/christian_grau/dir/" ignore them - that's the developer's old site and the program is not there anymore.

We found it at http://www.gratilog.net/fichier1.htm -- There's no guarantee it will be here forever, so you'd best download it now!

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by Gardenwife]
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:03 AM   #5

Check this out. It's written in english.

http://www.lc-tech.com/photorecovery.asp
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 12:50 PM   #6

Hi, John -

I did see that website and a couple others offering similar programs when I was searching, but you must pay and register it if you want to save the pictures it shows are recoverable. We just didn't have the money to do that right now.

Though Digital Image Recovery is on a page written in French, the title of the program is in English, and the program is in English.

I should have mentioned the other sites we found on that post to save any confusion. Thanks, though!
Old Sep 17, 2002, 3:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the utility. I hope I don't need to use it
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 6:10 PM   #8

Default Photo recovery

Thanks to sjms and gardenwife. I use the utility and great.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote