Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:53 AM   #1

Topic said it all. The Oly XD cards are pretty expensive. What if I buy XD cards from other manufacturers? Will they work without problems? And what do I loose then? Only the panorama thingie?

TIA
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:13 AM   #2

You lose only the panorama. For 4 bucks I would keep the panorama mode:
http://shopping.com/xPP-Flash_Memory...___256_mb~LO-0

I like the Olympus panorama mode. It fixes the exposure with the first shot and numbers and flags them for easy stitching in the Camedia software. I have a Pentax with a supposed panorama mode that is totally worthless. I didn't appreciate the Oly panorama system until I bought a Pentax.

One advantage of a nice panorama mode like the Oly is that you can take two shots with the camera held vertically. It gives around 8.5Mp and a little better than 28mm in a shot that can be cropped to 8X10, 11X14 etc. Since the Oly software doesn't have to even exposures it doesn't need much overlap, so you can just grab 2 shots instead of 3. It even works for group shots if you tell everyone to stay a second after the first shot. As far as I am concerned the pano mode adds a 28mm wide angle lens to my camera in most shooting situations because it is so fast and easy to use. I put panorama in one of the quick access menus.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:49 AM   #3

EEEEK! Thanks for the shopping link.

256 MB XD sells for 99 EURO here and I consider that expensive. But $150 for 512 MB Olympus XD is ... well not cheap (2.2 GB microdrive around same price) ... affordable.

Yes - I like the panorama mode too. Worked well on the Canon S1 IS where I first tested it and I hope it will work well on the Oly too

:|
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:13 AM   #4

There's a way to have the panorama feature in non Oly XD cards. You would need to format the header of the card like the way Oly cards are formatted. 'Forgot the site, but maybe you'll have luck finding the procedure easily... Good luck!:-)
staracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:26 PM   #5

Hm, I searched the net and found that stitching software is available under GNU licence - will try that with some photos. If it works - who needs Oly XD cards then?

OK - I know the panorama mode of the Oly's are somewhat "special".... will see if I like it.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:07 AM   #6

If I'm not mistaken, XD cards haven't been hacked yet. My guess is that there aren't any XD readers that can write to the header. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

However, Smart Media cards can be hacked to enable Olympus panorama mode. Older card readers that include software that can fully format the card (including the header area) can be altered so that they write the data to enable Panorama feature in Olympus cameras.

I was able to do this for the first time yesterday on my two 128MB SM cards I have a C-5050 and love the media flexibility. I think I might get a fast CF card to complement the hacked CF cards.
ravenlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:51 AM   #7

I haven't found any hack software and doubt I'd try it on a card worth 100 EURO or more... Will see if I can use normal stitching software.