Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:33 AM   #1

Hello,

I tested my new C-770 and found that I can't enable the continuous AF while taking movies with sound. The AF menu option is disabled when I enable the sound recording. This is ridiculus!

What am I missing here? Am I doing something wrong? A movie mode without AF is not usable in 9 of 10 cases...

Am very very disappointed - PLEASE HELP!

Regards
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:52 AM   #2

I phoned the Olympus support and after some misunderstanding they didn't believed me and told me the camera will still autofocus when sound is enabled, regardless what the menu is saying.

When I told them it does not they asked for sample movies - so I took them and sent them in.

Am really curious what the results will be. I mean: movie means "moving pictures" and whats good about a moving object when it's blurry? Errrmmm... :sad::sad::sad:

Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:23 AM   #3

What was Olympus' response to your question?

I also would like to leave the option available to the user whether or not autofocus and optical zoom are available!

eeeteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:28 AM   #4

No sound when AF is on.

You can use an external microfone (there's a female connector on the digicam) if you want both.

I took some movies now and adjusted a bit to this limitation. Actually it isn't that bad as I thought.

The problem is MPEG-4 has high compression and the more the stuff moves in the pictures the harder for the cam. Since most movies I'll play as SVCD I consider the movie quality of my C-770 as good enough. A high quality digital camcorder steals the show - ok. But I can compete with older analog ones on average.

Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:57 AM   #5

Do you encounter the violet stripes problem in your movies? I do encounter the violet stripes problem not only during prefocussing in the EVF and LCD, but also in movie recordings. It degrades the quality of the movie recordings quite a bit.:sad:
eeeteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:58 AM   #6

Yes I do and will definitely take a demo movie and contact customer support again. Seeing them on the ELV is one thing, but on the movie itself it's very bad.

Took several movies - and am happy with the image quality otherwise.