Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:45 PM   #1

Hi! I just bought a new D540 and i think something is very wrong with the battery life. Right now i have about 3 sets of Ni-Mh batteries for it. I freshly charge the batteries and put it into the camera. After about only 5 or so shots (no LCD just flash and then after the shot it shows a preview for about a second) the red battery indicator flashes on. I tried this with 3 sets of batteries and all of them do it after about the same amount of shots under the same conditions.

While i understand that the battery indicator is not really that good of an indicator, the camera shuts off! So i know the battery is really dead.

Another major problem i am having is that now suddenly the zoom doesnt seem to be working. Could this be due to low battery power perhaps?

Is this normal!? I had another Olympus D520 and i never had any such problems like this. The battery life would defintely last me a long time.

Thanks for any help!!!!
rodneyc8063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 6:55 AM   #2

have you got the right charger for the batteries?they might not get charged properly in the first place. Under what circumstances the zoom stops working?

[color=red]Olympus C-750,CLA-4,Hoya UV,HP5550

http://pavelis.fotopic.net/
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3

I got a C310, which is identical to the D540. The alkalines included in the package died in just minutes. So I got a Kodak C6000 fast charger with 4 2100mah NiMH AAbatteries included. 'Didn't want to get less than 1800mah batteries in the first place. 'Never had problems with them. Aset would last me 'bout 50 shots.

The battery indicator does show a low battery warning prematurely. Almost minutes after loading it. But I still get plenty of shots after that.
staracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 3:17 PM   #4

This may be a longshot but check for firmware updates at athe Olympus website. They had one for the C5060 which corrected premature weak battery indication. Maybe there's one to fix your problem.....
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:30 PM   #5

I got a C310, which is identical to the D540. The alkalines included in the package died in just minutes. So I got a Kodak C6000 fast charger with 4 2100mah NiMH AAbatteries included. 'Didn't want to get less than 1800mah batteries in the first place. 'Never had problems with them. Aset would last me 'bout 50 shots.

The battery indicator does show a low battery warning prematurely. Almost minutes after loading it. But I still get plenty of shots after that.

do what this says. Look for some NIMH batteries with MAH of 2100 or more. The mah is how long the battery will last. Make sure it says mah if it doenst you got a cheepo battery.
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:02 PM   #6

Ok, the zoom part i sort of figured out. In certain settings the zoom wont work (me stupid:-)).

BUT, regarding the battery life now. I have Energizer Ni-Mh rechargeables that are rated at 1850mah. These batteries came along with the energizer charger that i bought. So....the charger and the batteries must be correct for each other, since i bought them in a package deal.

I have another olympus D560 and the battery life on that one lasts me at least double the D540. The D540 lasts me about 30 shots without any preview, or anything else just the flash thats it.

Does anyone else have this camera that they can provide some insight into regarding their time with battery life? Thanks for the replies so far its mucho appreciated
rodneyc8063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:53 PM   #7

My reaction to your last reply is that there is something up with the camera itself. I use 4 of the exact same name/brand of batteries in my nikon 990 which is very demanding on power and I can run a very long time, albeit the camera takes 4 compared to the 2 batteries in yours. 30 shots, hmm something is up. 1850 batteries should take you a long way..
John8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:41 PM   #8

Hi

I too purchased a C310, i had trouble with battery life for the term of the camera. the shop i purchased from said there was nothing wrong with it and to try a different charger or better batteries. I used 3 different chargers and 4 different recharables with it (2000, 2100, and stronger) Didnt make any difference.

Finally i insisted that it be sent back to Olympus when brand new good quality disposables wouldnt even power it up (as a back up). Olympus lost my camera then found it andwhen it was sent back it wasnt repaired as they say its within the specifications of the camera.

I had it resent back and after oh a year (mostly problem with the shop) i have recieved a replacement camera of a FE-115 (no box). My advice would be to hound Olympus about your problem, they say its not a fault though.

pj77 is offline   Reply With Quote