Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 4, 2004, 5:37 AM   #1

Hello,

I got answer from Oly support regarding my movie recording problem. (see other post). They said: no - isn't possible with internal micro, but I could connect an external one. I found the right female connector on the cam (same as TV-out) but no hint about micro specification.

Please help!

I need information what kind of microphone(s) I can connect and if available your personal experience with it. Anyone here who tried that setup already?

Thanks in advance
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 1:44 AM   #2

Look through the reference manual that's on the CD, it's bound to have an answer (search for "microphone").

Most likely it's the inexpensive dynamic mic.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:55 AM   #3

Hm - I got a handbook printed in the package I bought. It's the same that is downloadable on the Oly website. Found it pretty short and it's not covering much detailed questions.

Will have a look at the CD then... (why do they print it when they have a better one on CD - I don't get it)

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:15 AM   #4

To save money, as many use it as a point&shoot camera and don't need the detailed info in the reference manual.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 7:31 AM   #5

OK - found the manual, read the manual and...

still no info.

The manual points you to www.olympus.com and there's no info given, grrrrr.

So I mailed the support again :roll:
Old Jul 7, 2004, 1:23 PM   #6

Hi thkn777-- I haven't tried an external mic w/ my C770-- yet. I will someday. The onboard mic is pretty bad-- but I wouldn't expect otherwise. I will be very interested to know if hooking up a good mic will produce a good sound. The limitations may be on the camera itself.

I produce video professionally, and in order to help you determine what mic is best for you I would need to know what you intend to record:

* interviews?
* music?
* general "ambience"?
* wildlife sounds?
* What???

Any self powered mic (dynamic handheld, lavalier w/battery, PZM, shotgun, etc.) will work as long as you match it to the mic input (1/8"or "mini" plug). Some mics might require a "matching transformer" to sound good on the camera, but it all starts with:

What kind of audio am I going to record with these images?
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:27 AM   #7

Good question Scotious!

The first answer is: everything I can catch with the cam ok ok I know thats a bad answer.

Hm.
  • interviews+music: well - if you count theatre performances, dancing w/music, singing and stuff in that category: yes[/*]
  • general ambĂ*ence: not sure what you mean exactly, but if this is the party, the "catch-the-moment-movie"and so on - yes[/*]
  • wildlife sounds: no.
[/*]
This camera (if I stick to the C-770) will serve as the primary "family" cam. All-day-shots, moments to remember, vacation trips etc. So a good mixture of everything. If I visit the zoo and do a movie there - sure some sounds would help.

I know it is NOT a film camera and it is NOT a camcorder. So what I would like to have most is:
  • good sound of the surrounding[/*]
  • less wind noise than on internal mic[/*]
  • noises / sound should be stronger from the object than from "behind" (i.e. my own voice) - is "directional micro" the word for it? So a bit(!) directional would be nice.[/*]
  • easy handling. How do I connect it to the cam? on the flash shoe? Or only at the female connector?[/*]
  • affordable
[/*]
Does that help?

Thanks for your thoughts - have to think about it really.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:48 AM   #8

Wow,777, this could be a huge topic-- here's just a single thread over at Apple's GarageBand forum:

[http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]]

So-- what should you get? Well, for interviews or vocals where you can get the mic close to the subject, something like:

[http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm58.asp]

or, if you can clip the mic on your subject, something like:

[http://www.equipmentemporium.com/lavalier1.htm]

And if you can't run a cable to the camera you can go wireless:

[http://www.videoguys.com/azden.htm#100LT]

For a meeting or performance, something like:
[http://64.213.162.194/Products/pages/SKU--13879/]

or for directional recording of a performance:

[http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/micShotguns.html]

None of these mics will attach to the hot shoe. These will all attach, with the proper cable or adapter, to the 1/8" jack on the camera. Then you either need a mic stand, or clip it on someone or somewhere, tape it, or just hold it.

None of these mics are "the ones" I would buy, necessarily-- just classic samples of the different types from the first web sites I could find. Obviously you get what you pay for and most have a huge range of prices, from consumer crap to high end recording gear.

When I do record to my C770 (and I will someday...) my guess is that I will use a decent shotgun mic to capture a performance or sounds at the zoo, or a wireless lavalier that I can hide up by a person and hook the wireless receiver into the camera. Or some inexpensive handheld like the Shure SM58 to do a "man on the street" type interview.

The most basic of rules suggests that the closer you can get the mic to the source, the better.
I would think that for just general sound like at the zoo the camera mike might suffice.

Good luck-- and I hope this didn't confuse the subject more than it helped.

--Scott

(I see most of these links have since expired. Sorry. You can do these searches yourself, i'm sure)
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:07 AM   #9

Thanks Scotious,

I don't think I can live with such "professional" mics

Since I have the focus problem anyway (C-770 focusses very slow in continuous mode and that shows in movies too) I guess I am stuck with a set focus. And here I can use the internal microfone anyway.

Oh well -
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:15 PM   #10

Just use a microphone that fits???? nothing special. I even plugged my head phones in and used them.

The main time you want to use a external microphone is for when you are taking movies and you want to use optical zoom. See when your taking movies with microphone on it disables the internal microphone, I'm guessing because lens is to close to microphone so it will picture it up. However you can use the digital zoom. So using the external microphone allows you to use optical zoom.

Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote