Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:28 AM   #1

O.K. someone please help. Last night I went to a little fireworks getup at the local park. Thought this would be a great place to dial my camera in for tommorows big fireworks show. I set my camera to full wide angle, A/S/M/set to M, and manual focus on infinity. Shutter settings were from 1" to 1/4 up to 1/50 and f/s was 8.0. My EV was bottomed out at -3.0 cause the camera said so and would not let me change it. And poof! All my pics came out either jet black frame or when I did get a good lighted exsplosion all I got was dots. No fire trails or anything. 123 shots and not a one save worthy. And I was using a tripod and remote control. I even checkedto make sure the lense cap was not still on. So can some tell me what I was doing wrong? Or if there is a setting I missed. Thank you.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

I'm not sure but it may be your shutter speed wasn't long enough. Try these links for more help. :-)

http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/modules...age&pid=79

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the links. I never went lower on my shutter speeds cause it takes so long to capture and write at lower shutter speeds when recording in TIFF. But now that I think about it a few really good shots are far better than 123 wasted ones.

Thanks very much for your help and quick response.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:54 AM   #4

Jack Russell. I took my camera to dark room and started decreasing my shutter speeds and what do you know, the lower the shutter goes the higher the EV raises. Boy someone at Olympus needs to hire guys like you to write there owners manuals. Then they might not get so much negitive feedback on ther products.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:57 AM   #5

I have never done a fireworks display myself but I think you might try leaving the shutter open longer. Maybe two or three seconds. Someone who is more knowledgeable than I, might have a different view. I plan on trying to do a fireworks display tonight. For me it will also be trial and error. Good luck.

Ray

Opps I guess I wasn't fast enough on the draw,but I feel better knowing someone else had the same opinion.
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 8:57 AM   #6

No need for thanks arowana, I just got lucky because i noticed a few posts about fireworks over the last few days. :-)Unfortunately i'll have to wait till November to try some firework shots on Bonfire Night. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:01 AM   #7

Well good luck Ray. Hopefully we will both have some great shots to share in the morning. Happy rocket hunting.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:06 AM   #8

I am sure it will be worth the wait. At least you will know what you are doing and can capture great photos while enjoying the show. Me, I will probably be retrieving my camera from the cumberland river. Mabey I should go and purchase an underwater housing before I get to the show. You know, just in case.:evil:
Old Jul 4, 2004, 2:33 PM   #9

Arowana,

just want to add something.

Consider the "perfect shot": i.e. F=4, 1/100s. Your display says "0.0". You know that you can modify the "aperture/shutter point" in a certain range manually (at Oly 770 4-way-controller LEFT and RIGHT)

--> the more you go into positive values (+0.3 ... +1.x ... +2.x) the wider the iris opens and let more light in. As a result your picture will be more bright.

--> vice versa if you go into negative values (-0.3 ... -1.x ... ) the more the iris will close and the picture will be darker than the "perfect" one the automatic in your camera thought of.

THIS IS GREAT if you see your camera is fooled by the light conditions and you want to help a bit.

THIS HAS NOTHING do do with setting the aperture in "A" (more or less then the F=4) mode and the camera chosses shutter speed or choosing shutter speed in "S" (more or less then 1/100s) mode and camera chooses aperture.

Sothe -3.0 the cam told you means your pictures will be VERY VERY dark even if the cam can get enough light in.

HOW WOULD I approach the fireworks? Well - I am a "standup-photographer" and don't carry tripods with me all the time... I'd look for something to put the cam on and switch to "M" mode. go for F=minimal and shutter=maximal. Try to catch a "skyline" with lots of sky (lets say 80-90% sky). If possible make sure you have some lights in the far distance (lamps in houses or street lamps etc. in your picture. Choose noise reduction=ON in camera menu. Choose the timer mode and press shutter. Then wait patiently. If done look at the shot.
  • if you see absolutely NOTHINGremove the lens cover and do again. [/*]
  • if you still see absolutely NOTHING forget it. [/*]
  • if you see slight hints of the lamps and at least an idea where the skyline is you might try to shoot at the VERY light moments of the fireworks [/*]
  • you are fine if you see the lamps clearly and the things at the ground (houses, trees etc.) as a rule of thumb: the fireworks will provide as much light as some distant street lamps. Go to http://www.dcresource.comand look at the skyline nightshot pictures to get the idea. If you can see the skyline and the lights you will see the fireworks too. [/*]
  • if your test picture was too bright lower shutter (gives shorter rocket trails) or increase aperture (F-value) till you have a good amount of light.[/*]
Now enjoy the fireworks and hit the shutter now and then.

Hope that helps.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:31 PM   #10

Setup should be ISO 100, f/8 and shutter speed from 1 to 3 sec and sometimes longer.
The remote has a two sec delay. If you pressed the remote when you saw the explosion the shutter fired too late.
I use the C-750 for fireworks shots.
http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/fireworks

Dick
ociepka is offline   Reply With Quote