Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:00 AM   #1

Heya,

how long will the little Li-Ion battery last in your camera? I am experiencing 1,5 - 2h heavy-duty sessions as the maximum I can get from it - ridiculus!

Are there any high-capacity batteries available? Can live with 2 packs (morning, afternoon+night) but not with 5-7!!!

regards
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:11 AM   #2

I agree. The battery life is pretty disappointing. It's very hard to say what "average" life is for a charge; depends on how many times I power on/off, how "zoomy" I get. Flash, video, zoom, etc. all drain a lot.

For a typical, power up, take a bunch of photos (150-200 is not uncommon) I think I am experiencing about the same as you (1 &1/2-2hrs)-- maybe less.

I bought 2 cheap replacements (for less than the price of one Olympus OEM battery.) They seem to do "OK"-- but not quite as well as the OEM battery.

Don't know if there are any higher capacity ones. Anyone?
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:42 PM   #3

These Li-Ion batteries perform a lot better than the old double AA type if that's any consolation. I too have found that Olympus batteries seem to perform better than off brands in Olympus products.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:38 AM   #4

Answer from support: There will be a better battery (L-12B or something) with 1200+ mAh. Not much compared with the 1090 mAh I have now but better than nothing.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:21 PM   #5
THC

I have charged and discharged my batteries about 3 times now. I have found that the Battery Life has increased since first charge.

I have an Li-12B as my additional battery and was able to take 150 photo's yesterday using the Camera all day and still had battery life left. I did turn the Camera on and off a few times.

Has anyone got any tips on preserving battery life ? Is using the Dioper rather than the LCD Screen going to be beneficial to battery life ?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:23 PM   #6
THC

Yo !
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 5:42 AM   #7

No. Since it is a EVF you gain nothing in battery life time.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
No. Since it is a EVF you gain nothing in battery life time.
As a long time user of the C-700 (if you call two years a long time), you do save power using the EVF over the larger LCD, due to the amount of power required to light up the larger LCD.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:31 AM   #9

Hi,

I did capacity measurements of original Olympus Li-10b and replacement batteries. I got the replacement batteries via Ebay here in Germany from "Akku-King", 4.99 Euro/piece, and from "DasguteGeschaeft", 7.00 Euro/piece.

Results:

Original Olympus:
1120mA
weight: 32g

"Akku-king":
a) 629mA
b) 672mA
weight: 24g
Akku-king batteries had a very flat battery cell inside and were stuffed with foam tape, the package giving way when firmly pressed with both thumbs.

"DasguteGeschaeft":
a) 1072mA
b) 1054mA
weight: 34g
You can probably find similar cells on Ebay worldwide. The label is black, with a white top and the words "Environmental/Friendly Battery", the nominal capacity is 1100mA.

Bruceljones did an elaborate research of the C-770's power consumption under various conditions, with surprising results:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9347712

The reserch boiled down to this: The C-770 will discharge a battery within one hour and some, regardless whether being busy, zooming, focusing, taking hundreds of flash pictures, or just being "on", doing nothing. Therefore the camera should be set for sleep mode after 30 seconds or turned off between uses.

Personally, I am happy with one original Olympus battery plus two good replacements. There is no reason for spending the ridiculous amount of money Olympus are asking for their batteries.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote