Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:57 AM   #1

using continuous AF with shutter not pressed I follow the object, then press shutter. Cam tries to AF??? and releases shutter too late of course.

Am I missing something?

With my Minolta Dynax 500si I would press shutter half and leave it there. Camera does continuous AF and when I press the shutter full it releases that very moment.

Any ideas how to get a fast shutter release like that?

TIA
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:10 AM   #2

Now this is a serious problem. I was asking Oly Support and the guy on the telefone agreed(!) that continuous AF is very slow and showed no solution for me - am very very unhappy.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:59 PM   #3

Ok almost every digital camera on the market has what is known as "Shutter Lag".

This is not shutter speed. Lag is when you press shutter button and it has to focus then it takes picture about 2 seconds later. Only cameras that really don't have shutter lag is Digital SLR. Like the E-1 that is 1,700.00 just for the body.

Two things you can to do help shutter lag is.

1. Just like you said in your post. Hold shutter button down half way, you have to hold it down the whole time. When holding it whole time it will focus camera. Then when you press it all way it will take picture instantly. I would say not to use the AF on. It will take up a lot more batteries and it does not really give you less shutter lag. Only thing you can do is hold that shutter button down.

2. There is a setting on camera called sequence shooting. This will act like a auto film camera. You hold button down and bamm bamm bamm one picture right after the other. Its under drive in the camera. You can get about 30 pictures like this.

Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:45 AM   #4

Thanks Mr. Oly Guy

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My main concern is that the C-770 will lock focus when I press the shutter halfway. When I aim at a moving object chances are high that is is out-of-focus soon. I am looking for a trick to tell the camera to AF WHILE I PRESS shutter halfway so I can press down when I need the picture.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The way the continous AF on the C-770 works is: I don't press the shutter and continuous AF works. Now I want to take a picture and press shutter. WEIRD! The AF process starts as if I hadn't continuous AF on??? And that way I miss one shot after the other

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"OK - I experimented with continuous shooting modes in DRIVE menu. The highspeed mode is my IMAGE STABILIZER replacement Tried continuous shots with AF on, small picsize, ISO 200 or 400 in sports program so cam should choose high shutter speed to freeze action. Still not satisfied with response time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You know - everything would be ok if the AF lock wouldn't be there in continuous AF mode when you press shutter half down.