Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Indoor Gym -action shots bad lighting

I love my E100rs , my outdoor actions shots are great!!!
But........... volleyball started up and ive been trying to get some aciton shots in the gym, they are terrible. the lighting is bright in the gym but when i go to take shots , specially when i zoom in, they come out dark. Ive tried diff. settings , but im just a rookie and im not having any luck.
when i have it set for multiple shots, i push i half way and focus, it looks fine bright, then when i push it the rest of the way it takes it darker. Whats a good setting ? I took some in Jan. at our civic center they turned out pretty good in there.

im very disapointed for these shots in this gym.
still love my camera , need some help.

thanks
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:46 PM   #2

Default Indoor pics

I have the same problem with lighting inside a gym. I believe it is because of the lights that they use in gyms.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:04 AM   #3

what kinda camera do you have, how many pixels ?
its so frustrating , i can't wait till basketball season and its in the same gym. although there are a few away games that have better lighting.
need help
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:52 AM   #4

Default Gym pictures

I have the Olympus C4040Z. I get much better pictures when I can get within flash range.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 9:21 AM   #5
lg

Default Catch-22 situation..

Well, if you can't use flash, and you can't change the lighting available, about the only thing you can do is set your ISO to a higher number. Try 200 to see if you can get useable shots, and if they're OK, then switch to 400. You'll be able to use faster shutter speeds as you increase your ISO setting. Also, since you have a 2.8-3-5 zoom lens, you'll get more light into your pictures at wider zoom settings.

Unfortunately, this is a "Catch-22" deal: the higher the ISO setting, the more noise you'll get in your pics. SO... you have to decide which setting (if any) is acceptable for you. At my daughter's school, they cleverly decided to go with fluorescent lighting on their stage, which caused me the same problems getting shots of a play. The best combination I came up with to get acceptable shots was ISO 200 and settling for more wide-angle shots than zoom. I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote