Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:12 PM   #1

My husband loves to take wildlife pictures. And I am starting a bead jewelry business and need a good camera for close-up pictures for e-mail and the Internet. We are looking at the C-5060 and the C-8080.

Will the Olympus C-5060 work for us, or should we spend the extra money and buy the C-8080, with its telephoto lens? We don't want to be frustrated with the C-5060, but neither do we want to feel like we bought more than we needed.

Advice would be greatly appreciated, cause we've been going back and forth on this one for awhile. At least we have narrowed our choices to these two cameras!
CameraNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:28 PM   #2

Depending on the type of wildlife photos, you may want one of the C-7x0 series of cameras due to its long zoom.

As for buying more camera than you need, that's pretty rare...most of the time it's the opposite, as soon as a person gets into digital photography their needs grow and they want to upgrade to a more powerful camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3

Were you thinking of the C-765 as a companion with either the C-8080 or the C-5060, or instead of?

You think the C-765 is comparable to the C-8080with a telephoto lens?

The review said I can get close-ups to 3cm, using the super macro. Is this as good as what I can get with the C-5060 or the C-8080?

And I thought we had it down to 2 cameras!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:51 PM   #4

You have discovered the first rule of fixed lens (as opposed to SLR) cameras - there is no one camera that meets all needs! I like the idea of the 8080 & C-series combo - it will cover most of your bases - but you don't have to indulge right away. Buy one or the other and get used to using. You can buy a tele attachement for the 8080, but it is a fairly hefty affair.I have taken very good macro shots with my C series.The C series wouldalso act as telephoto extension, although there is the issue of camera shake to consider (I use with a monopod on racked-out shots to diminish camera shake). I personally started with an Olympus C-700, went to a C-730 and now have a C-765, which I keep in my briefcase for when I see a good shot. I also have purchased an Olympus E-1 SLR & two lenses because as MikeF noted, I wanted more camera to deal with the limitations of a fixed lens camera - limitations you will have no matter what brand of fixed lens camera you decide to buy.I like Olympus, but you'll find as many dedicated Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panosonic, etcusers. There are probably at least half a dozen very good cameras that will meet your immediate needs, justtake time to do your research on Steve's site. I hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:53 PM   #5

I have a C750 and was looking into replacing it with the C8080 but after thinking about it long and hard I don't think I could part with the zoom range the 750 offers so I think I may just add the C8080 to the C750 raither than replace it and have two cameras. I have had more than a few instances when running into wildlife in the mountains that the 380mm range of my current camera came in handy and was almost not enough. Being limited to the 140mm range of the C8080 I think would frustrate me greatly from time to time.... Its to bad you can't have the best of both worlds. The main reason I want the C8080 is what seems to beexcellent picture quality, higher resolution and comes stock with a 28mm wide angle lense which is the nicest part for me.

P.S. If only Olymade a 5 or 6mpixel camera with a 15x optical zoom range of say 28-420mm's.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:41 PM   #6

Thanks! After discussing all I have read in these forums, we have decided on the C-8080. I am pretty excited. Maybe for Christmas or his birthday next year, I will get him the C-765 so that he always has the camera handy for those "quick" shots.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:58 PM   #7

HI there! I upgraded from a Nickon 990 and it was a hard decision. Especially after attending Henry's Digicam Multi vendor product display.

What I love the best:

- the zoom range, great wide angle which you use more often then the longer reach telephoto (dpending on your usage of course)

- the picture quality and presets on thumbwheel when time is a factor

- battery life is superb! ( have 1 backup charged always ready. You always seem to run out of jucie when you need it the most)

- quicktime vga give great little movies which look great on TV. My 1gig flash holds around 18m worth which is great for many uses i.e, family get togethers.

There is lots to learn and the documentation is quick good.

Good luck
Attached Images

John8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 5:31 PM   #8

What a beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:47 PM   #9

Hi. I came across your question a bit late, so if you have already ordered, well I hope you like the purchase. Both are excellent cameras. Unfortunately thoughthe dilemma you have cannot be addressed by either camera, good as they are. I have the 5060 as an everyday use camera, and it is superb. For your purposes ideal even. But your husband wants to take wildlife pictures, and there is no prosumer camera that will really fit the bill, because of the generic problem of shutter lag, even if the lens is long enough (most wildlifeshots need a 400mm lens)which is unlikely.In other words, he presses the shutter, and bingo, by the time the camera has taken the picture the bird/animal has upped and gone. If you try any of the cameras without interchangeable lenses in a shop, take it to maximum zoom, and try taking a shot while panning you'll find out - it won't work. The 8080 is long enough for superb portraiture at 140mm especially with the wide aperture lens, but not wildlife.

So unfortunately you can only accomodate the both of you by buying an SLR. I have the Nikon D70, which I bought on Steve's recommendation over the Canon Rebel, and like it a lot. Then, if it takes a while to put the money aside for a 70/200VRIFED lens plus the TC14E or TC20E converter for hubby, so be it, but he will be mightily satisfied with the results when he gets it. I use that lens for motor racing, and the VR means the image is stabilised, hence no camera shake or blur.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote