Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:04 PM   #1

I thought I read on one of these posts that the High Speed Compact Flash Memory Card does not work well for the Olympus C-8080. Is that correct? Many of the internet sites that sells the Olympus C-8080 offers the High Speed 1G Compact Flash Card for a good price and I want to make sure that I should NOT be buying one of those, but buying just the regular compact card.

Is it noticeably slower saving to a regular compact flash memory card than it is to the xD memory card?
CameraNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

From my understanding with the C-8080 is it won't be able to use the speed advantage of a faster (40x or greater) CF card as it seems to write/read around the 1-1.5MB/sec range which would be about a 7-10x rate. The only advantage a high speed card would have for you is if you transfer the pictures from the card using an external card reader or possible in the future if you were to upgrade/replace the camera. For now if you were to use the camera to tranfer the pictures to your computer through the cameras usb connector you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a normal (12x usually) CF card and one of the high speed ones.

As for xD media...well its performance is usually right around that of a regular compact flash card when it comes to read/write times so there is no advantage there for the camera either....but then again I don't think I have read a review of the C-8080 that had the read/write times listed comparing xD to Compact Flash on the camera so I don't know for sure.....just an educated guess here. xD also tends to cost slightly more than CF cards.

Personally for this camera I would just pick yourself up a nice 12x regular brand name CF card in the 512mb-1gb size. This will give you plenty of room to shoot all day in the SHQ jpeg setting.:-)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:44 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your thorough answer!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You are so right -- there is a big difference with the prices of the flash memory cards, so I am glad to read that the regular CF card will work just fine.
CameraNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote