Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:07 AM   #1

Does anyone have a problem producing clear images which shooting scenery scenes? My close ups come out pretty good but not the distance shots. What is your take on the 8080
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

I own the c-8080 and have had occasions where I experience the same lack of focus at infinity as you are experiencing. I think consensus among others whose messages I've read on other boards confirm this problem. Also, the problem seems to vary with individual units - some better or worse than others at this.

What to do about it?

1. You can send your camera back to Oly requesting a fix (calibration or replace, who knows what they'd do)

2. Try using the scenery mode which I've read seems to do a better job of getting the camera to focus at infinity.

3. Try using manual focus (I hate MF - too difficult to see correct focus with that stupid pixel replicated window that pops up) and setting the focus point to infinity and backing off 2-3 clicks.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:48 PM   #3

javascript:emoticon('', 'images/emoticons/shakehead.gif')
sadYeah, I get the same instability. I have tweaked the settings almost every single time I go and take test shots, and I'm getting a little frustrated with the 8080. I spent this amount of money, and I can't rely on the camera for decent shots. Starting to regret purchasing the 8080, and Ebay is looking better everyday. May go with the Nikon D70, if I should decide to sell this camera.

Sorry, but I have been extremely patient with the 8080, and willing to learn its tendencies, but honestly, taking a decent photo should not be this difficult. Especially, with a "higher-end" camera such as the Olympus 8080.

Just my personal opinion. Take it for what it worth.
hittnrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

Hi All - Like this previous post - I too have just purchased the C-8080 and what I thought was an upgrade from a Canon S-50, turns out to be a real pain to get pictures that are of the same quality. I will first totally admit that I'm far from even being a photo guru, more like "Early Beginner", but please this C-8080 should not be that difficult to use. I'm thinking that maybe I read too many of the "Great Camera" posts, when I should have researched WEB Comments like these first. I also thought about the D-70, but I mainly purchased the camera for Scuba Diving, so I've now got all of the accessories too. To much invested to sell on E-Bay, and 'm still hoping that it's "ME" and my ignorance about the product.

Any suggested or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Morenodogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:27 PM   #5

I no longer own my c-8080 but let me just add that I did not sell it because of the problems discussed in this thread. The camera does have its weaknesses just like any other camera on the market today. You get to learn a camera, its weaknesses and strengths, and eventually you take good pictures with it.

There were many fantastic photos generated for me by this camera. There were also a good share of stinker shots. Despite it's being advertised as a P&S camera, it is most definitely not that. It is more towards the spectrum of dslr's without being a dslr. Don't give up, persevere and you will like what you can generate using this camera.

FWIW, I sold my camera because I moved up to a Canon 20D dslr. I did that because it suited my goals of wanting to do wildlife photography and to do that requires more in the way of equipment (longer focal length lenses) than the c-8080 could easily provide me.

Here's a few examples of pictures from the c-8080 I owned:

http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpeg...BumbleBee1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpegs/SunningGBH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpeg...nPrimrose1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpeg...nDropOfSun.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpeg...2_filtered.jpg

Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:33 PM   #6

Hi, with this camera you must have absolutely no camera movement at all,because it seems to me that most of my bad shot s are due to me moving the camera even an micro milimeter. Also when taking scenic shots,oneother thing that messed me up was to not take notice that the green button was blinking. I often took pictures with the green lamp blinking. I mean that I knew that lamp is a a focus indicator,but many times,when the focus search stopped,I just assumed that the lens was focused when it wasn't....my own fault again. Anyway, double checking focus and no camera shake even when using flash cured most of my problems. Geoffs is right though,this is not a P&S camera, it takes some practice.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:18 PM   #7

You all have to admit, a camera should not be this sensitive to movement. It doesn't seem practical to have to carry around a tripod in order to get decent shots with this camera.

Are the other 8MP camera's this sensitive to movement? I'm talking about the Canon Pro1, Nikon 8700, Sony F828, and what ever else fits into this category. Is Anti-shake that much of a difference, or is it still all hype.

I spent many days reading the reviews for the Olympus 8080 and there was nothing but positive remarks for the camera, but after finally making my decision and purchasing the 8080, I'm thinking I made a mistake.
hittnrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:36 PM   #8

hittnrunn, I can understand your confusion and your dissatisfaction, but I just want to reiterate that the camera can take extremely good photographs.

FWIW, I did not find the camera to be overly sensitive to shake, at least not anymore than any other comparable camera, including dslr's.

Let me tell you what used to bite me with the camera (and this is true of many P&S cameras). Basically, it boiled down to my inattention to the exposure parameters that were being used by the camera for any given photograph. In bright sunlight, where almost all exposures can be guaranteed to be fast enough to counteract any type of shake due to being handheld, you should not have a problem. But, in lowlight situations (indoors with ambient light, outdoors on cloudy days) the exposures required may be slower than you realize.Most of ushumans are just not good enough to handhold a camera with shutter speeds slower than 1/25-1/60 at short focal lengths (exposure must be faster at full zoom). Sure, some people are steadier than others, but those individuals are few and far between. If you shoot in one of the more creative modes (M,Av,Tv) then you will probably already be more aware of your shooting parameters and will compensate in some way if possible - higher ISO, flash, tripod or other sort of steadying platform - so that your shutter speed is fast enough or otherwise compensated for.

I sold my camera to a friend. After a week of use he showed me some of his pictures and wondered why they were not as sharp as he thought they should be. I sat down with him and reviewed the EXIF info for each photo and pointed out how the shutter speeds in each of those photos were so slow that he could not possibly expect to get good results without a tripod. He wasn't even aware of that possibility until I'd pointed it out to him.

My recommendation is that before you toss the camera, start reading all the posts from other c-8080 users on forums like the yahoo group for the c-8080. Steve's is a great place but the # of c-8080 users here pales in comparison to the numbers on yahoo. Practice and more practice and getting to know your equipment.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:19 PM   #9

This link mentions the same problem...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...23&forum_id=22
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote