Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:17 AM   #1
THC

What are the main Differences ?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:23 AM   #2

The 770 doesn't use AA batteries, but has a much better movie mode, a slightly closer macro mode, a slightly better popup flash,and a slightly better viewfinder. See;

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...al_cseries.asp

Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:37 AM   #3

According to their comparison page, the 750 has a super macro mode, wireless remote, and more shooting modes as advantages over the 770. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the EVF or flash between the two. The 750 is also a teeny bit lighter than the 770, and the new firmware adds pictbridge. The AA size compatibility is definitely a plus.

KuoH

Pooperdog wrote:
Quote:
The 770 doesn't use AA batteries, but has a much better movie mode, a slightly closer macro mode, a slightly better popup flash,and a slightly better viewfinder. See;

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...al_cseries.asp

KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 3:48 PM   #4

If the difference between the c750 and c770 is so ridiculously marginal - with the older c750 outshining the newer c770 model in a couple of areas - then it begs the question; What the hell is the point of the c770?

There were clear performance and functional improvements between the 730, 740 and 750. But since the 760 and 770 came out there has been seemingly nothing of merit added. So what was the point of the two newer camera models?

One way or the other I am sticking with my trusty c750!

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 8:29 PM   #5

Since the C-760, Oly C-7xx's have been advertised as the smallest 10x cameras on the market. Unfortunately though they are too small now to use AA batteries, and that's why I like the C-750 as the best of ALL the C-7x0 cameras, and what the C-7x0 SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM DAY ONE (with the addition of some C-5050 & 8080 features, like AF assist and metal tripod socket and casing)!!!

I admit I've been contemplating getting another camera (either a used C-5050 or the E-20 since I can't afford the E-1), but I might just get a C-750 instead and put it in storage until my C-700 breaks down.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:32 PM   #6

Don't forget larger LCD, morephotos in burst mode,and quicker focusing on c-770. (I own both cameras, so these aren't just theoretical differences).

The battery is bloody ridiculous though.
Sammy Yousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:35 PM   #7

Also, the EVF has much higher resolution on the C-770 and the movie mode is way better on the C-770.

Sammy, have you upgraded the firmware on the C-750? You may find that there isn't much difference in the focussing time once you do the upgrade. This is the "PicBridge" upgrade I am talking about. It fixes the focus on the 750.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:37 AM   #8

Hi,

I am using both AA NiMH and Lithium batteries in my two cameras, the C-2100UZ and the C-770UZ. Like many people in this forum I always favoured the NiMH cells for two reasons: easy replacability, lower price.

After using lithium for a while, I changed my mind. There is no longer a price advantage for NiMH cells. Any common lithium battery is available as a second source replacement for less than $10. I made capacity measurements which showed excellent result with cheap replacement devices.Lithium has a space/weight advantage over NiMH, is more suited for compact cameras.

One battery block is easier to change than 4 separate cells, each to be inserted with the correct polarity. With picture taking stress and AA cells, more than once I felt I didn't have enough hands or pockets.

The biggest disadvantage of NiMH batteries is the high self-discharge rate of 2-5% per day. You can not trust your batteries, if you don't charge frequently. Lithium batteries are extremely good in that respect.

By the way, I also owned a C-750 for a short period. I am experiencing the C-770 as a big step forward.

Cheers, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:48 PM   #9

Quote:
I am experiencing the C-770 as a big step forward.
Could you say more details of how? (I wonder if having the C750 for a "short time" might have made a difference? I just got mine and it seems to take a while to learn).

I know the movie feature on the C770 is better, but the C750 isslightly bigger (which works better for me) and I like the AA option in an emergency. Other than that, I really haven't heard differences between them. (I'm guessing that's why Oly is discontinuing the C750--it provides too close a competitor to the C770, and at a much reduced price).

I can't see any reason that someone would buy a C765 (no hot shoe) rather than the C750 either. So eliminating the attractive C750 makes sense from Oly's point of view. I'm just not sure the C770 offers that much improvement on the C750for the money.

julie3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:35 PM   #10

Sadly, AF lag in low-light, and elevated noise in low light and during longer exposures continue to be a pain in my ass. The C-8080 looks really, really nice but I am not going to shell out $1000 for a 2/3 type sensor. Wish Oly would transplant the 4/3 type sensor into a camera like the C-8080 (I know the camera and lens would be larger and heavier, but I'd take it). Doubt we'll see it anytime soon, so I'll probably shell out the $$ for a dSLR this winter.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote