Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:58 PM   #1

Hi.

I have just had a new C-765 delivered, butam surprised to find that there is play between the extending part of the lens barrel and its housing. When moving around with camera in hand there is a very noticeable rattle.

I phoned Olympus Europe tech support and was told that this was normal, but can anyone confirm this for me. Are there any happy C-765 owners out there whose lenses also rattle?
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:16 PM   #2

I recently bought a C765 and hadn't noticed any rattle. But now you've mentioned it I went and checked and there is a slight rattle.

I wasn't worried before so I'm not going to start worrying now, particularly if Olympus say it's supposed to do that (or more like they couldn't prevent it doing it so claim it's a design feature :-))
aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:30 PM   #3

It *IS* absolutely NORMAL!!!!

The lens is designed to float on a three point assembly, the CCD actually moves with the lens (yes, it's a design feature).

HOWEVER, most C-7xx users will recommend getting a lens tube and a UV filter to protect the lens assembly from scratches, dust, and getting bumped, as well to keep dust from being sucked into the camera when the lens extends/retracts. It does add a little to the length of the camera (it's like having the lens extended all the time), but the protection is well worth it.

Note that I've been a C-700 user for almost two years now, and I've had my tube for almost all of them.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:23 AM   #4

Thanks very much for the reassurances.

Is the lens tube assembly with UVfiltera standard Olympus accessory? Should I be able to buy one in the UK? Are they expensive?
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:54 PM   #5

Yes, the Lens barrel rattle is normal. I've got a 750 and there's some lens barrel rattle too.

Regarding your other question,you might take a look here:

lenstubes:
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html
I don't see your 765 mentioned there, but I assume you would need the same tube as for a 750: just send them an email and ask for that exactly, they might reply soon.(that's my experience)

As for the UV-filters, see :
http://www.2filter.com/prices/digcam.html#uv

When I'm not erring here, you would need a 46,5 mm to 52 mm tube- but there are other posssibilities.So you would then need a 52mm filter.

Maybe someone else can jump in here to correct or second the above.

They ship to the Netherlands, so I'm assuming they would ship to the UK too.

HTH
RTCNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 4:03 PM   #6

There are other third party tubes that have smaller diameters, but the 52mm size is best.

The tube from Olympus, the CLA-4, has a 55mm filter diameter...the reason is their lenses have 55mm threads, but 55mm filters are harder to find in smaller camera shops.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:47 PM   #7

Is Olympus' own CLA-4 Lens Conversion Adapter one of the tubes that you are referring to ?

And is the CLA-4 the correctmodel for the C-765 ?

Thanks again for all the help
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:23 PM   #8

ALL the C-7xx cameras from the 700 up to and including the 770 use the same tubes, either the CLA-4 from Olympus or one of the third party tubes mentioned above.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:12 AM   #9

Hi pjohnc!

As you live in the Uk, the best place for the lens tube is www.srbfilm.co.uk

It's listed in their catalogue as a stepping sleeve 45.6>55mm for Olympus cost £10; a Hoya UV filter 55mm costs £12.34.

This combination will give all the protection needed for your lens, mine is kept permanently on my C740.

If you need a case for this combination take a look at the Tamrac Digi 6; it holds the camera with lens tube attached, with room for 2 spare sets of batts, pockets for memory cards and other parafernalia, all zipped or velcro secured.

Hope this helps.
BernBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:41 AM   #10

Yes, great help, thanks Bern

I've made a note to phone them on Monday as the site says something about updating prices etc at moment.

Re bags, I was given a Jessops Lowepro Digital Camera bag (Extra large Model) by my sons on Fathers Day. so hope this proves adequate, though I have no reason to think that it will not.

I have seen advise from various owners suggesting that it is a good idea to buy another battery charger. Can anyone tell me the reason for this ?