Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1

Hey, i just got the new Stylus 410 Digitaltoday, looks great and can't wait to use it, except for that darn memory card. The manual says to charge it before you first use the camera. So i set it up and anticipated it to be ready within 2 hours. i wait and wait and 3 hours comes by and it is still not done charging. i figure it must only be taking a while because this is its first time being used. then 3 ½ hours comes by and im start to being convinced this will never be done charging :roll:. Sure enough it is now 4 ½ hours and still not done. I know i may sound like a complainer and all, but i really hope this doesnt take this long every time it is being charged. Has anyone else had to wait this long for their card to charge or is mine just defective? thank you in advance for the replies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- There's got to be more to life than looking really really ridiculously good -looking-

~ZooLander~

NTimback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:18 PM   #2

I've never heard of charging a memory card. Typically you need to charge the batteries for 2 or more hours before your first use.
waltm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:47 PM   #3

battery, memory card, you know what i mean

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- There's got to be more to life than looking really really ridiculously good -looking-

~ZooLander~

Old Jul 25, 2004, 3:25 PM   #4

So is it working now? Do the batteries charge inside the camera, or is there an external charger?
waltm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:13 PM   #5

yeah the batteries seem to charge in the external charger okay now. I guess it was just that the first charge that tooka while longer (6 hours longer):yawn:. This could be a little deceiving for first timers expecting a quick charge. oh well

~ZooLander~

Old Jul 25, 2004, 9:48 PM   #6

First charges always take longer, also it takes at least three charge/discharge cycles for the batteries to get to full capacity.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:03 AM   #7
Administrator

Those little chargers that Olympus supplies are -not- rapid chargers. You can expect it to take 3-4 hours anytime the battery is exhausted. Being that it is a Li-ion pack, you can charge it whenever you want and for however long you want and use it even if it isn't fully charged yet. However as we always recommend in our reviews, it is best to buy a second battery and keep it with you and charged as those batteries are proprietary, you can't power the camera with any off the shelf type of battery.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:14 PM   #8

Hi, can I chip in here

I put an extra question at the end of my previous topic (Lens rattles) asking about battery chargers. I have seen recommendations that C-7** owners should buy an extra battery charger, as weel as batteries and memory cards.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:02 PM   #9

pjohnc wrote:
Quote:
I have seen recommendations that C-7** owners should buy an extra battery charger, as weel as batteries and memory cards. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Well, do you want to get stuck having a dead battery, and run out of memory, or do you want to have spares all set to shoot.

Personally, I have three sets of batteries and a few memory cards. If I was a away for longer than a week I'd get a portable hard drive/reader for transferring pics on the road, but I'm never away for any longer.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:24 PM   #10

Hi pjohnc again

By all means get a couple of extra batteries, and maybe a couple of 128mb Xd cards; but why would you need another charger?

According to the Olympus website the charger that came with the camera charges the Li-10b in a couple of hours!

Any progress on the lens tube from srb?
BernBennett is offline   Reply With Quote