Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:42 PM   #21

:?

I just bought C755 from Fry's. I found that the lens making some funny noise.When I tilt the camera forward and backward even the power is off, I can hear some thing is loose inside the lens barrel.Does anybody have problem with their C755?

texan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:32 AM   #22

Dear Texan,
The loose lens Phenomenon has been very well documented, and is nothing to be concerned about.
HTH,
NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:23 AM   #23

So what's the conclusion on the C-755 from Fry's/Outpost? There is rather conflicting information in these posts.

Is it a 'real' C-755? Is it metal? Plastic?

Does Super Macro & Panorama work on it?

Is it made in Japan?

Is it reconditioned?

Do the Firmware updates for the C-750 work in the C-755?

Does Outpost carry the remote? (RM-1, I believe)

Thanks.

EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:32 AM   #24

I'd love to figure out the exact differences between the various Olympus 4MP 10x cameras...

Does anyone have a brief summary of the differences between the 750, 755, 760, 765, and any other similar 4MP models (whatever they're called)?

They keep churning out variants of the ultra-zoom; it's hard to keep up.

I used to own a 2MB 2020, and now have a 4MP 4040, but the 3x zoom just isn't enough much of the time. I love the low-light (fast) lens on the 4040, and I've thought of getting an add-on zoom lens for it but for $299 I figured I might just get a 2nd camera... if I could just figure out what the differences are.

Seems tough to beat the price of $299 in any case -- are there any known shortcomings with this one?

Thanks!
--Steve
lemketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:58 PM   #25

I have a Fry's C-755.
It is essentially a black 750.
See this thread for my description of it:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...195410#p195410

It is a "real" Olympus camera, but is different from the Japaneese 755s.

I think they are all made in Japan.

I cannot tell whether it is metal or plastic. I compared it to a 740 and a 770 in my neighborhood Fry's and they all seemed about the same to me. They all look like quality plastic, but the doors on it seem metal when you open and close them, but they look like the rest of the body when closed. Whatever it is, it's well made. However it does have the plastic tripod socket like all the rest.

It has Super Macro and Panorama (if using an Olympus brand card), just as the C-750. It does NOT have the super digital zoom and something else I can't remember that the Asian C-755s have.

The one I got from Fry's Outpost was a brand new camera with a one year warranty. I had a refurbished D-520, and refurbished has a 90 day warranty.

EXIF says it is a C-750, but the camera control interface says it is a C-755, so I would be cautious about upgrading the firmware, but the firmware revision number is in the same series as the C750 firmware. In any event, the newest 750 firmware adds Pict-Bridge support, which I don't care about, at the expense of Camera Control, which I want to use, so I'm not about to change it unless they improve the pixellation in magnified manual focus

Remotes are "buy it now" available on eBay pretty much any day of the week for at most $30 + shipping. If you want to stalk for a deal, you can probably do better. They work with it just as on the 750

I am quite happy with mine.I personally think the black body is VERY nice, and it is well made, so I guess I don't really care if it is plastic or metal. I previously had a 2.1mp 520, and had thought 8x10s from it were pretty good. They are MUCH sharper from a 4mp camera.

I don't like the plastic tripod socket
I don't like the way it pixelates when you try to manual focus. Manual focus is MUCH easier on the Panasonics.
These are issues with any C-7xx.

I like that you can use AAs. Saved my A** once already.
I like that Camera Control works.
I like it in black A LOT

Basically, consider it to be a black C-750, with fewer included accessories and a lower price. The only place you can tell it is not a 750 is over the camera control interface.

segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:36 AM   #26

>I cannot tell whether it is metal or plastic.>>

One way to tell if it is metal or plastic is the way the material conducts temperature. My C-755 feels a lot cooler thsn, for instance, my TV remote control, which is definitely plastic. You can also tell by banging a key, or something that is metal against the camera lightly. If the sound is flat, it is plastic, if it rings, it is metal.
HTH,
NB
PS The real difference for me is the 14x optical zoom at 2MP. Only the C-755, 765, and 770 have it.
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:46 AM   #27

The Fry's C-755 does NOT have the 14x optical zoom at 2MP feature, which I referred to earlier as super digital zoom. This is only present in the C-755s made for the Asian(Japaneese) market, which is really a different model camera than the US (Frys) C-755s, even though it has the same designation. The Fry's C-755 has the same feature set and specifications as a US C-750, except for a different case and later firmware than was available when the 750 was discontinued.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:55 AM   #28

Thanks very much, segbert, for posting all of that information - it's exactly what I was looking for (and more). Much appreciated.

Given a choice of color, though, I'd prefer the silver because a black camera, when exposed to sunlight in summer, will heat up far faster than will a silver camera - and absorbing heat cannot be good for the camera's insides. (Silver is the best color for deflecting heat. Significantly better than white, even. Silver has the most reflecting properties. On a hot summer day, touch a white car, and then touch a silver car - you'll feel the difference. Don't touch a black car, though - 'cause you'll get hurt.)
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:27 AM   #29

No hope! I have a c755 made in japan that has only japanese. I tricked the c750 ENG firmware update programs (the original NA one and the Pict update one) to run and start downloading the firmware to the camera for updating. But after it download for a while. It simply stops and throw an error. I am happy with the camera though.
redhatbert is offline   Reply With Quote