Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 24, 2004, 1:48 PM   #1

If you look at the pictures in Steve's review at the bottom of this page:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c750uz.html
, one of the cameras has a black plastic zoom control, and the other has a silver (metal?) one.
I am upgrading from my trusty c-700, and purchased the Costco c-755, which is supposed to be identical to the c-750, but returned it, as the Costco camera turned out to be mostly a plastic body with metal trim around the LCD. I don't want to order another camera and be disappointed again.
I'd really appreciate any comments on the actual metal content, and also, if anyone has happened to see a good deal on the camera recently. My money was tied up with the Costco thing for over a week, so I missed some good deals.
Thanks in advance,
NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:16 PM   #2

My c750 is all-metal save for the bottom plate and card and A/V doors. Note it's metal plates, not a magnesium-alloy unibody construction. You might not be able to get the 755 with an all-metal body - try calling Oly USA. Some of the early test models of the C-750 had a black panel around the zoom controller/shutter button.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:00 PM   #3

What I would really like to do is get one of the real C-755's in black, but they do not appear to be available to the USA!
I was surprised that Costco could sell a model called the C-755, that did not have all of the features that the actual C-755 has, like 14x optical zoom at 2MP, and Pictbridge support, and then say it is identical to the C-750, when it is almost entirely made of plastic!
Thanks for the reply.
NB
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:45 PM   #4

nellybly,

Actually, I'm not sure there was anything wrong with your C755 from what you say. My C750 is silver, but appears to basically be all plastic. To get the Pictbridge support you have to download the firmware--it doesn't come with the camera. And I don't know what you mean, "14x optical zoom at 2 mp". The C750 has 10x optical zoom at 4 mp.

Some people prefer the black bodied C755 because the adapter tube and lenses are black and it looks more like a dSLR. But personally, plastic or not, I think the silver body is nicer. Just personal preference, I guess.
julie3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:59 PM   #5

Costco advertises this camera as the C-755:

The official Olympus News Release is here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/200...31007pictbe.cf

Here are some excerpts:

CAMEDIA C-755 Ultra Zoom: Super Zoom Mode for 14x Zoom at 2 Megapixels
Featured for the first time on the CAMEDIA C-755 Ultra Zoom, Super Zoom mode extracts 2 megapixels of image data from the central portion of a 4-megapixel image shot at 10x optical zoom, and delivers an image whose quality and magnification are equivalent to a 2-megapixel image shot at 14x optical zoom.

The CAMEDIA C-745 Ultra Zoom and CAMEDIA C-755 Ultra Zoom comply with the PictBridge standard for direct photo printing without the use of a computer. As a result, high-quality prints can be obtained simply by connecting the cameras to a PictBridge-enabled printer with the included USB cable.

The Camera Costco is selling as the C-755 is not the C-755, as it does not have these features. It may not be much, but I don't think it is right.
I do appreciate the reply,
Thanks,
NB
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:02 PM   #6

julie3y, it's a combination of metal and plastic, mostly metal.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:00 PM   #7

nellybly,

I guess you're right. But it sounds like the Costco C755 is just like my C750, except in black. I really don't understand that, but...so it seems.

Quote:
My c750 is all-metal save for the bottom plate and card and A/V doors.
Thanks for telling me, but mine is nearly all plastic! I guess it doesn't matter that much (it looks good...it works!), but...still....strange....

I wonder if there are plastic models that are made for the more "discount" price places (I got mine online at butterfly photo)? If that's not the case, then I'm at a loss to explain it.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:47 PM   #8

julie3y wrote:
Quote:
I guess you're right. But it sounds like the Costco C755 is just like my C750, except in black.
The C-755 also comes in silver, but I would love to have a black one, even if the menus were in Japanese! I wish they'd sell them in the US. I found a black C-770 avai;able to the US from Australia, but i really want the C-755.
I'm sure I'll find it somewhere, sometime!
Thanks,
Celeste
PS To tell you the truth, I really wanted to keep the Costco "C-755", and would've, but I felt that they should not have misrepresented the product, so I returned it. It is a great camera!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:41 PM   #9

I had to call Olympus this a.m. re the firmware update so I asked if there are any different productions of the C750 and C755, where some have primarily metal bodies and others are mostly plastic.

The tech said that it may seem plasticy to me, but its a metal alloy. "It's not plastic". They insisted that was true for the C755, too.

Since I've never seen another C750 in person, I have nothing to compare with. However, if there -is- a difference, maybe it has to do with some being made in Japan, some in Korea, and others in China. Maybe that could account for C755 differences, too, I don't know.

Have you ever seen a C755 other than the one at Costco?

(My earlier post sounds so easy going. Lol. In reality, I feel exactly as apprehensive as you about quality control and "consumer beware"--I want to be sure that I am getting what I paid for!)
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:33 PM   #10
vto

Fry's Electronic store in Fremont, CA is selling the C-755 (Black) for $399. There online store is called Outpost.com. It is the real C-755 (not Costco C-755). It is metal frame and looks very nice.
vto is offline   Reply With Quote