Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:01 PM   #1

:?I am wondering if somebody can give me a brief explanation on the WB settings on thiscamera. I have the idea of what the auto settings do and thefirst4 presets. But the third setting, which when selected says " One Touch WB " andthe last 3 settings on the preset menu are a bit confusing.

The manual really gives no information on it. ( Great camera, could use some work on the manual.) What I am trying to do is see if I can use those........I think they arecalled WarmCards........to set the WB to get warmer colours. And if I can do this, how?

Thanks for any help.
gemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:21 PM   #2

First, have you read the reference manual that's on the CD that came with the camera...it goes into a LOT more detail than the paper manual. If you can't find the CD, you can download the reference manual from (8.2mb):
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/...ce_English.pdf

The one-touch WB allows you to hold up a card in front of the camera to get the EXACT lighting conditions, usually with a white or 18% gray card.

As for the "last 3 settings on the preset menu" as I don't have a C-4000 I don't know what you are referring to so I can't help you.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3

I forgot all about that reference manual on the CD! Duh on my part. Yes, it did go into a little more detail once I found the CD.

"The one-touch WB allows you to hold up a card in front of the camera to get the EXACT lighting conditions, usually with a white or 18% gray card. "

This answered my question though for the One Touch WB setting. Thanks.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:33 PM   #4

The last 3 presets are for fluorescent lighting. Fluorescents come in several (3?) different types, each with a characteristic colour temperature. Having 3 presets lets you choose the most suitable one for your lighting.

Personally I can never tell what sort of fluorescent lighting I'm in just by looking at it, but shooting a test shot on each preset will show up the differences and give a pretty clear indication which is the right setting for any given set of lights.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:27 PM   #5

Pardon the intrusion just had to say HI,have wandered round the cameras and ended back with c5060,Iam still as bad.

jasm
james morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:26 PM   #6

You really have to experiment...the one time I did try other settings including one-touch white balance with my C-700, auto white balance did the best job so from then on I stuck with that.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:37 PM   #7

Yes, all the descriptions were in the reference manual on those particular settings I think, and somebody correct me please if I am incorrect on this, tungsten lighting is the greenish kind of light with the huge bulbs and most other is the fluorescents. I just try to avoidthem allmyself. :sad:

Thanks for the reply.

Mike. I think the expermenting idea is the road I'll follow. It's a new part of the camera features I started to explore, I just know nothing about light and colour temperatures. Thanks.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:55 PM   #8

Tungsten is the standard household incendescent lightbulb:

http://www.darksky.org/handbook/graphics/inclamp.jpg
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:40 PM   #9

:idea: