Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1

Hi everyone :!:Let me thank you in advance for at least reading my post. I can understand why there are all the "WCSIB" postings. I also can appreciate why there are as many complaints about the vague[/i] questions :roll:.

I have been reading all sorts of reviews, on all sorts of cameras, from all sorts of sites for weeks now. I have come to the conclusion that there is just "too much" information, "too many" opinions, and far "too many" cameras to keep it all straight in my head . I find the more that I read, the more I keep going around in circles :?. This has been taking up far too much of my time with no resolve.

Through all that agonizing, I determined that the best way to narrow down the choice was to set the budget. That eliminated the DSLRs :sad:. Feature wise, picture quality is most important. I want something with a fairly wide lens (incase the future budget doesn't allow for additional lenses), manual controls (so I can learn), enough mega pixels so I can print/crop a good 8 x 10 (if need be), something that can accept an additional flash, more optical zoom would be nice (I have the D-460 Zoom which is 3x), and something that has a solid[/i] feel to it. I would rather have a better quality camera than one with a ton of unnecessary mega pixels and a cheap feel to it.

I think the C-5060 WZ would probably be the one for me. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a local retailer to actually see one up close and personal. I was wondering if I could get some "up-to-date" opinions on this camera from people who already know. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:55 AM   #2

Hi i am into day four of trying c5060 my assesment is a non top class image maker more hands on tech approach.i failed to have confidence in coolpix 5700 down to me not camera.i find c5060 very user friendly and with sharpness and contrast turned down results are fine ipost some to check back on.

jasm

http://www.pbase.com/jascm
james morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3

I have had my 5060 for several months now, having looked at all the opposition. If you want a wide angle lens, but with a zoom facility,then really your options are limited to Nikon or Canon. The Nikon I hated for the electronic viewfinder - useless indoors. I like the Olympus because after familiarisation it is simple to operate, and is just as easy to use in manual, aperture, and shutter priority modes. I am most i8mpressed with the picture quality and the lack of "noise" or grain as we used to call it. Close up shots of flowers show vivid colours and detail, and portraits, for which I always use aperture priority, are of good quality too. The screen turns inwards to protect it from scratches when not in use, which is a good feature too. All in all I would heartily recomment it, but as a word of caution have you considered the Oly 8080? I have a friend staying who has this camera, and mighty impressive it is.This has the same wide angle, but 8m pixels and a 140mm zoom as opposed to 110. Bigger, but just as easy to use and the viewfinder, electronic in this case, gives a clear bright image. Heavier, but if it had been available when I bought the 5060 I would have hesitated between the two. As a final note we had a classic car racing weekend here at Le Mans France this weekend, and I lent the camera to a novice friend. The results he got were very good for someone who has difficulty telling one end of a camera from another. But if you want action shots, you will be wasting your time - we had many many shots of an empty track! All prosumer cameras like this suffer from shutter delay which makes them in effect useless for action photography, and only an SLR can cure that. However, wide angle indicates indoor work, family shots, and lanscapes, so if that is your intended use, either of the Olympus cameras will leave you happy and proud of the results.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:50 PM   #4

Thank you Cameranserai so much for your reply and your input :-). I have looked at the C-8080 and it is impressive. Unfortunately, I think it is a little out of my price range at this time. I'm hoping that the C-5060 will be reliable stepping stone and help me learn more about taking better pictures until I can afford something like the C-8080 (or whatever is the latest and greatest then.)

I guess my concerns about making this choice come fromall of the negative reviews that I have read that date back when the camera first came out. Such as the camera locking up or failing, and the firmware issues. Hopefully they are all taken care of by now.

I may actually get a chance to see the camera in person. I found a local camera shop (through the Olympus site) that does sell it (for the retail price.) I always feel guilty though when I have to check things out in a place that I know I am not going purchace from.

Thanks again:!:

Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:05 AM   #5

Thank you Jame Morgan for reading my post. The pictures you have taken are great and I appreciate you sharing them with me. I feel more confident in my decision toward buying this camera. I will post again when I actually have a camera to talk about.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:18 AM   #6

Please do not be worried on the reliability issue. Mine has taken over 2,000 shots with not one problem at all. I have a D70 as well, and that model (but not mine)suffered from glitches at the outset, but we hear no more of such problems now. No matter what we buy today it is already out of date, but I promise you that you will not be disappointed in the results from this camera. I actually prefer it to my Nikon for close up work! Coupled, in my case, with the Canon i9900 (9950 in Europe) printer, the final results are stunning. Go for it! Best of luck.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote