Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:39 AM   #1

G'day, this is my first post!

l just got a stylus 410, like 2 days ago,in exchange for a malfunctioning mp3 player from JB HI-FI. Only thing is, this camera may be having it's own problems!!

1. I edited some photos using the cool camedia software. the next thing l found that 5 of the photos stored on the card were not viewable. an error message came up on the camera's lcd that the photo wasn't supported or something. only problem is, l don't know if those photos were the ones l edited... l'm pretty sure l didn't edit that many though! To cut to the chase, does anyone know if editing photos renders them unviewable on the 410? in the thumbnail view, these photos were just shown as black squares.

2. macro shots are fantastic, like a magnifying glass. however, as others have said, the camera MUST be held ABSOLUTELY STILL. my problem is, the autofocus does not work. l hold the button halfway down, it slowly focusses, making a juddering, sickly wirring noise. the frustrating bit is, it gets to where it is beautifully focussed, but only stops a bit further on, so it's fuzzy once again! am i supposed to only take macros with manualfocus (which l don't know how to do yet, is it even possible on this camera?) If this is so, the problem will be fixed, but if not, please tell, and l will be taking it back. yes, it has worked correctly a coupleof times, like the first time l did a macro shot of a 10c coin, but then l tried about 5 times to get a nice macro of a 5c coin next to it, and the focussing problem kept happening. l held the lens really close, like less than 2 inches or around about. l can't remember if i had the same focussing problem at farther distances.

it would be painful to return this camera, especially after the disappointment having to return the mp3 player before! please comment on what you think i should do, or what you think might be happening. yes l have read portions of steve's review of the 410, and so far haven't come across what's troubling me about this camera.

if l return this camera, l think l'll get a nice speaker set next!

Suncloud :-)
Suncloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 1:48 AM   #2

l think the solution to the second problem is that l was holding the lens too close, it said something like 9cm away minimum in another review.

Yes, l am an amateur!
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:46 PM   #3

I saw the same problem on two Stylus 400's as well. No matter what the macro distance, I could see the camera get perfect focus on the LCD, then go just a step too far no matter what the subject was. Ironically, the lower end D560 has no problems with macro focus and turns out great shots. It would be nice if Olympus would've included manual focus in the Stylus line.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:30 PM   #4

You don't have to be an old head in photography to know you have to read the manual. You can at least look at it when you think there is a problem. If the camera is focusing within the rated macro range it is working fine.

If you can download the images from the camera and they are good I would say there isn't anything wrong there either. I would suggest downloading the images directly from the drive letter for the camera in Windows Explorer or My Computer. It will show as a removable drive when the camera is hooked up to the computer. You can then import them into the Camedia software from where you downloaded them. Regardless of how you mess with them in the software you still have the originals that way. And there isn't any confusion about whether your problem is with the camera or how you are using the software.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:30 AM   #5

I don't know about Suncloud, but I've read the Oly manuals for the c740, c750, D560, Stylus 400 as well as a few other camera models, and I was aware of the minimum focusing distance and have taken a good number of macros with the above cameras. While I can't vouch for the 410's macro performance, it does sound quite similar to the problem I saw on the two 400's I used. It may not be representative of all the 4xx cameras, but it certainly made me reconsider when I began to shop for a smaller camera to supplement my c750 on casual outings.

As for the lost pics, memory card corruption can and does happen from time to time, though less likely when read using the camera as opposed to a card reader. The most common causes are usually improper card removal or power interruption,possibly due to low batteries,during memory access. Also, aquick comparison of the file dates on the card wouldreveal if any were modified after being taken, but it is generally recommended NOT to edit any files directly on the card.

KuoH

slipe wrote:
Quote:

You don't have to be an old head in photography to know you have to read the manual. You can at least look at it when you think there is a problem. If the camera is focusing within the rated macro range it is working fine.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:11 AM   #6

Slipe, l take your point. l've been lax in not attending to the manual first tobe sure of the min distance for macros. It is interesting though that Kuoh has noticed the same problem on the 400.

l also came across quite vague about thefirst problem! ;-P Kuoh's reminder that it's best to avoid editing files directly on the card was useful,andl'mwondering if that's what happened. l downloaded the pics in Camedia and then edited them, so presumably that means they were edited directly on the card, since there's no copies of the pictures on my pc. l'll try it again tonight to see if the same problem arises. what l am sure of is that when l noticed problem 1 and looked through all the pictures on the card, none of them were my edited ones, which were quite distinct, like l changed the colour balance and made them blurry etc etc; so l reckon they were theblack thumbnails.

will report back, thanks for your input! this forum is invaluable and fascinating. l particularly value being able to interact with photography enthusiasts/'pros' who know their stuff, cos l'm not in contact here with anyone like that. the picture of the day feature on steve's site is very entertaining, l love it cosmany of the shots are so beautiful!

Suncloud