Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:42 AM   #1

I recently took a trip to Alaska. The landscape photos at distance were not real clear showing noise however at lower resolution were better. What is the best resolution to shoot at with the 8080? Macros come out great in lower resolution.
Attached Images

jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:45 PM   #2

I think thisiscaused by 1:1 pixel (ccd:image) ratio when you're using max. resolution. In lower resolutions, the ratio could be more pixels on the ccd to represent 1 pixel on the image.This "blends" the pixels color, thats why you dont see much noise here.
staracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:28 PM   #3

Actually this photo posted here was resized and sharpened several times from the original full resolution size. The photo seemed to get better after reducing in size.
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:57 PM   #4

Reducing the image size will also remove details on your pictures.

Here's how I see it: Olympus has a feature called TruePic where it is uses the entire surface (maximum resolution) of the ccd chip regardless what resolution you've set for the picture. Each photodiode on the ccd chip is not perfectly equal with each rest in converting light to electric signals that makes up a pixel. On maximum resolution, you could immediately see how these pixels differ from each other and this is how you get noise. On lower resolutions, the camera would use more photodiodes to have 1 pixel, the signals are somewhat averaged and you may not immediately see their differences when compared to the rest of the neighboring pixels, so you see less noise. This principle is applied by photo editing software in terms of pixels when you reduce the image size.

If your 8080 got a noise reduction feature, try turning it on. If it hasn't, try a noise reduction software such as NeatImage http://www.neatimage.com The functions of the demo version of neatimage could be enough to solve your problem.

If the moments are really precious, and you may want to print them on an 8"x10" later on, or you are particular with details, and you've got time to edit using your software, use the maximum resolution.

Tip: I make it a practice to keep the original pictures on a cd-rw as a master copy, or in a separate folder. In case I screw up on editing, I still got the originals to revert on to.

staracer is offline   Reply With Quote