Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:37 AM   #1

I saw some vague posts about a firmware update for Olympus cameras, mine is a C750. It seems to only add PicBridge compatibility, is that true or are there other things that would be advantageous to update?

Also, I'm taking my C750 to San Fran for a vacation soon and am thinking of buying the Olympus 55mm adapter and a polarized filter. How does the adapter work, does it mount to the actual lens tube, or to the camera body right before the lens? Is it something that can stay on all the time (i.e. when the lens retacts)?

Any other accessories I should consider? So far I'm bringing a mono-pod and a portable hard drive for storage.

Thanks
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

Sorry I can't help you with the firmware question for your C-750 (I have a C-730) but I can address your question on the adapter tube.

The adapter tube mounts on the camera body, completely independent of the lens assembly. Many folks, including myself, leave the adapter with a UV filter attached all the time ("lens armor.") It provides good lens protection, for both the lens glass and the extension mechanism. You can put the polarizing filter right over the UV filter. I don't have an vignetting with my polarizing filter on top of my UV filter. I like having the adapter on all the time as it gives me a good place to grip the camera (I'm a dyed-in-the-wool lefty.)

The only draw back of leaving the adapter on all the time is when you are using flash - at full wide angle you get a shadow in the lower left corner. This is easily avoided by zooming in just a tad (some say to at thetop of orjust above the "W" on the zoom indicator in the view finder). Works for me...

A couple of other things you may want to consider bringing to San Francisco are a second set of batteries and a spare Xd card. A monopod and portable hard drive sound like great options, also.

Have a great trip to San Francisco!

Regards,

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:56 AM   #3

Olympus is more or less secretive about firmware updates, and it's rare that they release an update, unless it's in their best interest (in this case adding PictBridge makes the camera compatible with their new printer). There are probably other fixes in there too, but Olympus isn't telling. You add PictBridge, but you lose the ability to control the camera via a computer...there are some programs like Pinetree which allows you to remotely control the camera.

Regarding the tube adapter, most C-7xx users will recommend keeping a tube adapter with a UV filter on the camera at all times...it not only protects the lens from dust and scratches, but the tube also protects the lens barrel from being bumped out of alignment (which some Olympus users have done). The tube attaches where the lens comes out of the body, and the camera's lens extends/retracts inside the tube. The one from Oly is the CLA-4 which accepts 55mm filters and lenses, but many prefer a 52mm as it's easier to find filters in that size...you can get the 52mm tube at http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html (there are both silver and black 52mm tubes available)

I keep my tube on all the time, but if you are only using the internal flash it might cause some shadow in the picture when the lens is at wider angles.

As for accessories the sky is the limit...one thing you may want to consider in future is converter lenses, check out http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm (on that page you can see what each lens looks like on the camera, and clicking on a lens will take you to samples...also near the bottom of the page you can see what a tube and filter look like on the 750).

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 2:56 AM   #4

Very cool what Raynox has to offer, with the different lens multipliers, etc. I've heard about them but hadn't seen what they look like. Curious about how much success people have had with something like that. I mean that's pretty damn extreme to end up with a 35mm equiv of over 800mm with a more or less compact point and shoot digi-cam.

I do, however, love the adapter tube. Here's what I want...A setup for my C-750 to accept a UV filter strictly for protection, the cheaper the better as long as it doesn't hurt the picture. A polarized filter, one that does a decent job but doesn't cost alot (typical requirement for anything, right?). and of course I'll need a new lens cap, which would be nice to be able to strap to the cam instead of pocketing it.

And one more thing about the polarized filter...How hard is it to actually use? I Imagine that the crappy EVF is slightly better than worthless for adjusting the filter. I read that you can hold the filter up to your eye, adjust it, and then mount it to your cam, remembering the proper position, is this common or nonsense?

Obviously I am new to any lens attachments, so any shared experiences is greatly appreciated. Also, any trusted sites to buy these (other than obvious) would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:32 AM   #5

There are a few DCR-2020Pro galleries on Pbase now, although not all are C-7xx...someone even put one on a Canon 10D dSLR. Here's some links:
http://www.pbase.com/ociepka/2020 (on C-750)
http://www.pbase.com/albacore569/c750_demo

Have to say though that the Raynox DCR-6600Pro (.66x wide angle) is one of the best around as it has very little barrel distortion (curving of the picture).

You have to watch it as there are some cheap filters that do distort the picture, and multi-coated filters which eliminate reflections which would be caused by light bouncing off cheap filters.

Regarding polarizers, look at this page:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...polarizer.html

The maximum effect (as it says) is with the sun 90 degrees from you. I've had no problems using the EVF for adjusting the polarizer...certainly a lot better than having an optical viewfinder and having to use the large LCD for it.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:39 PM   #6

I've recently acquired the adapter tube for my C770UZ (CLA-4) plus the polariziing filter (by Hoya.) Interestingly, this inexpensive linear filter is perfectly acceptable, as opposed to the more expensive circular polarizer offered. Even the first sales guy I asked was unaware of this! Here is a direct comparison without and with the filter. I tried to compensate with Photoshop and could not really match the effecst with the filter on:

Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:18 AM   #7

I did the update and they have fixed the non-functional full time autofocus feature. Overall the camera focusses faster. I would recommend doing the update.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 1:22 AM   #8

Nice improvement with the polarizer, I ordered the same one along with a silver adapter tube (by Sun Pak), UV protecter (Hoya), and lens cap from www.2filters.com. They had a package deal for the tube, UV lens, and cap for $26. I haven't received it yet, but they were surprisingly knowlegable and helpful over the phone (I phoned in the order because I had some questions, and they were great).

About the firmware...

Quote:
I did the update and they have fixed the non-functional full time autofocus feature. Overall the camera focusses faster. I would recommend doing the update.
Mycontinuous autofocus works fine (although I find it annoying, and it seems to slow me down because you can't zoom while it isfocusing, which it is ALWAYS doing in continuous AF) Do you know any specifics about what the update does besides adds PicBridge? I'd obviously like to update anything that would benefit from updating, but NO specific info about it makes me suspect, when my cam is working just fine.